finishing Newbie

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nadnerb

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys
I don't normally post on this section but I need some advice. I do scroll work mostly in hard woods( beech, oak, walnut, maple and ash) and am looking for a decent finish. I sell what I make so it has to be a fast application and fast drying. I was using beeswax but I have noticed that after a few days the wax seems to dry into the wood leaving it look unfinished. Do I need to seal the wood first? and if so what should i use?I would prefer to use a spray finish if possible . Any suggestions?
Regards
Brendan

in saying scroll work presume thats fretwork - the main problem you would have is the finish dribbling down inside the frets. - finishing that sort of item would drive me nuts! The oil finish would soak into the end grain but lay on top of the straight grain to a certain extent. It would work better if brushed on and wiped off but still alot of faffing about. What about areosol lacquers? but still the issue of a clean finish....

phil.p":1r8qeez9 said:
Not a spray, but try Osmo PolyX or Fiddes Hardwax Oil. Quick, easy to apply and only two coats. I know you can get small trial pots of Osmo. If you must use a wax polish, use a microcrystalline one.

Hi Phil

does the polyx leave a gloss finish?
is it wipe or brush on?

Steve

Back