Finishing coasters

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gilljc

Established Member
Reaction score
Having a coaster thing at mo, cut first set of four different patterns so far from oak and bb ply, stack cutting 3 layers, one of 5mm oak and 2 of 3mm ply, have to admit I am quite pleased with the results, and still can't quite make up my mind whether the 5mm or 3mm is best, just different I think, but both work well.
Anyway, just wondered if anyone has made some before, and whether they would be ok finished with microcrystalline wax (yes I am obsessed with it, its so lovely and so easy!) or whether I really need to use Danish oil, nice finish, but it takes so long.............

Hi Gill. Some years ago I went through a period where I made loads of coasters but sadly they did not sell as well as i had hoped at the craft fairs. I to made them in ply and hardwoods. The ply ones I spray lacquered and the hardwood pnes I wax polished after dipping them in teak oil to highlight the grain. I agree about the Danish oil, does take a long time to get a decent finish.

I use 4mm baltic birch ply and danish oil.
Know it is slow drying but a wipe a day for 3 days is fine by me.
Use those truss gang nail things to support them when drying.
The little spikes leave no marks.
Phil

Thanks for your advice guys :)
Phil, sounds like you have done a few? Do you use natural Danish oil, or do you stain them?

Latest posts

Back