finishing cherry

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

engineer one

Established Member
Reaction score
as my other post has said, "see general,"have just bought some
english cherry,

given that i want a natural finish, and everybody has so far suggested
oil, what is the best oil, or any other thoughts??

paul :wink:

Paul,

Lucky for you I've just been tidying up and have been able to lay my hands on Woodworking magazine Spring 06 with the article on aging cherry. To get the result they liked best, they used two parts boiled linseed oil to one part mineral spirits (white spirit? I never can remember), applied generously and allowed to soak for 5 to 10 minutes. Then wiped off the excess with a dry rag and left in the sun for eight hours. Or 20 minutes in the tanning salon (I kid you not).

Cheers, Alf

thanks alf, but tell me more about this concept of tidying up, is it a new technique for woodworkers, or does it work for humans too??????

after recent family demise, i am trying to clear out a number of things, and you would not believe how difficult it is to get rid of duvets in london.

sorry to go off subject, but you talked about tidying and well :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

so i guess i have to break out the old cricket bat gear, and go from there.

strangely i picked up another murrican mag at the weekend, and they were talking about denatured alcohol and i think that is white spirit,
but who knows???

all the best
paul :wink:

engineer one":3jewbmrz said:
i picked up another murrican mag at the weekend, and they were talking about denatured alcohol and i think that is white spirit,
but who knows???

Paul, no, it is meths or similar, (industrial denatured alcohols aren't coloured usually).

engineer one":jd4wmob2 said:
thanks alf, but tell me more about this concept of tidying up, is it a new technique for woodworkers, or does it work for humans too??????
Dunno, but I don't think it's going to catch on somehow... :roll: :lol:

Cheers, Alf

Back