Finishing Advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert Wallace

Reaction score
As I am a newbe and my name is Robert Wallace but known as boab.a dear friend past away and I was given what timber he had mostly ash wood.I have made a small corner table which I have rubbed it down to nice finish alas I am lost as to how to apply a finish, she who must be obeyed wants it with a light colour. Please can you guys tell me how

Many Thanks Boab

This is a question that crops up quite frequently - people see freshly worked pale wood and want to keep it looking pale. The trouble is, in general, pale woods will darken when exposed to ultraviolet light - ie daylight - and finishes won't really stop that happening. Personally, I really like the brown colour of matured ash, but it's not the white that it shows when newly cut.

You can buy yourself a few years delay by choosing a finish which won't itself darken the colour - this could be a very pale shellac or a polyurethane. Don't assume that polyurethane has to look thick and glossy - you can use a matt or satin version and thin it down a bit for the first coat. If it's a lightly-used side table one coat followed by some wax could be enough.

There are some newer finishes designed for exterior use which contain UV blockers but I've not got personal experience of them.

As with any finishing question, it's always a good idea to experiment on off-cuts of the same wood before committing yourself.

To Andy
many thanks for the advice ,I will copy it and try and some testing on cutting,
boab

Waka
as a newbe can you tell how to find the finishing section, because i am lost
boab

You might like to check out water based acrylic type finishes. Anything oil based tends to make the wood look yellow.

Re where is the Finishing section. Look at the top RH corner of your webpage. Look for Board Index. Or in the rh column, it is there as well. Click on it and that will show you all the sections on the forum. Just click on Finishing.

Welcome to the forum, BTW.

Latest posts

Back