French polish advice sought

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fergie 307

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
A plea for help to the French Polishing experts among us. Just got myself an 1870 or thereabouts Gilbert cottage clock. The finish has tiny bumps all over, maybe up to 1mm in diameter. I am guessing caused by age and maybe the environment it has been stored in. They look like tiny blisters, but are solid rather than bubbles. I have come across this before but have just removed it and started again. Problem here is there is some painted decoration under the polish that I want to preserve. So far I have given one side a good rub with alcohol and, with a good deal of effort, the bumps seem to smooth out. There isn't so much pick up on the rubber that it appears it's removing it, rather softening it and redistributing it. Sods law of course dictates that the problem is at its worst where the decoration is! I am a little worried that I may end up removing the decoration. Current thoughts are to start gently at one end of the decorated section and see how it goes. I just wonder if anyone else has encountered a similar issue and can offer any advice. I have tried to photograph the area but need to get some better lighting to get it to show up.

is it veneered or solid? it could be the veneer coming off and might need re-gluing on with hot hide glue, if not then it sounds like it needs a refinish, take some photos in daylight if possible.

Back