Finishing a workbench

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Hale

Established Member
Reaction score
I've just built my workbench, I make guitars and ukes, and wondered what people here would advise to finish it espeially the top. I'm leaning towards Rustins Plastic Coating though could be easily swayed to other finishes the other varnish I was considering is Ronseal Diamond Hard Floor Varnish. The top is made from WBP plywood and the legs are CLS Timber (These would need a different finish to the plastic coating I assume), also I'd like a satin finish if possible

Be careful you don't make it too slippery. BLO or even a few coats of sanding sealer is usually enough - just clean it off lightly every couple of years and recoat it. You only need something that prevents stuff sticking too easily.

Rustins Plastic Coating can be rubbed back with very fine wire wool and then rubbed over with Briwax to give a less high gloss finish.
Not sure why the legs would need a different coating, what are you thinking of that I'm not?
I've used the leftovers of RPC on a work bench top and a workmate top after finishing a kitchen worktop. It's lasted years.

i used truoil on mine. I had some left from a project, so slapped a bit on. It isnt particularly tough, but resists the dribbles of glue etc.

IMO, use what you have to hand.

I think Ronseal Diamond Hard would be much less faff and faster to do since you can thin it down and wipe it over the whole thing with a big ball of rags.

If you get a surface a little shinier than you'd like you can knock it back easily. My new favourite for this purpose is 'magic sponge' but you can use fine steel wool, non-woven nylon abrasives, or just with a wadded up ball of brown paper.

Back