Finishing a fire damaged mahogany side chair

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luke2443

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello. Last year we had a house fire and one of two side chairs was damaged in a fire. To be fair it was only the material that was damaged and the wood was damaged by water as the joints swelled etc. there was an inlay beading that got damaged by water.
I've stripped fabric. Sanded down as best I could. I've filled the groove with a light filler to mimick the inlay. I now have to finish it. Please could I have some advice? Also if a product is advised could you include the name and where I would be able to purchase? Ill try and add some picture
One will be the damaged chair, one is the over chair that wasn't damaged and the third should be the one of the stripped chair.

Thanks

Luke

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    250.7 KB · Views: 699
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    250.4 KB · Views: 699
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    234.7 KB · Views: 699
I would say try to get as near to the original as possible, so that could be oil varnish or french polish if they are as old as they look.

Ok, is there a decent varnish that you would recommend? I've read about French polish but having never used it I'm slightly unsure on what to do and where to purchase the required ingredients.
Thank you for your reply. I apreciate your thoughts.

Luke

Most marine varnishes are oil based, like Rustins yacht varnish, which I have used and its very good. Have to be quick in a warm room and have a good brush.

Back