finishes for burr chestnut

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vinnie_chip

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am going to be making a couple of coffee tables and mirror surrounds from some lovely burr chestnut. Would anyone be able to advise me of the best finish to apply to give protection and retain the natural colour? Any help would be great, thanks.. Vinnie.

Well in turning I use a cellulose sanding sealer and Microcrystalline wax. for items that don't have a lot of wear or handling.

For a stuff that is subject to harder use and I would consider a Table as such I would personally use a Melamine enhanced Lacquer and the wax as that is what I have to hand and the lacquer is quite moisture and abrasion resistant once cured.

No doubt the members from the flat world will be along with various other preferences and pointers based on their experiences.

Thanks for your reply.. is the lacquer easy to apply? I haven't put a finish of any description on wood before so really don't want to mess it up..

Mirror surround..
1351025617-picsay.jpg

Attachments

• 1351025617-picsay.jpg
    1351025617-picsay.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 1,217
Would love to see the finished result Vinnie,some sort of oil finish to bring out the beauty of the figuring,as its a mirror its not going to require a rock hard finish ,imho a satin finish would look great.

Hi Mark, thanks for your reply. Think I will go for a Danish or Osma oil. I haven't got round to making it yet due to family and work commitments. I have just ordered a router bit so I can surface plane both pieces to get them perfectly flat.. will upload photos of my progress after the weekend. Should be able to see the figuring a lot better then.

Phwooooooaaaaaarrrrr. Cmon to sum it up in one word Phwooooooaaaaaarrrrr !!!!!! I like that alot !

Back