"Finished" Cd Storage Cabinets in Pippy Oak

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Made the doors pic below, did them with the domino and no the mouldings are not retro fitted.
Pleased with the result but too time consuming to do this way in future but lesson learned.
The panels are made from one plank so look bookmatched, to a degree.

Only one door in the pic and this is just the dry fit size is 670mm x 250mm ....

so64qx.jpg

Looks very nice bloonose.

At the risk of appearing critical (not intended), I think I would have only used the pippy oak for panels and it is a little too much on the rails/styles and plinth for me.

That is not to say that I don't like it, I do!

No offence taken Tony, we all have different taste :wink: thanks taking the time to make a comment, more than a 1000 views but only 7 individuals, inc you, have bothered :roll:

We should not post pictures of the stuff we make if we can't accept that not everyone will like it.

The Oak was really pippy and I would not really have wanted it to be, but it was really difficult to get hold of any. The customer will be a happy bunny though methinks

As much as I like it, I do agree with Tony's comments. Another thing you could've considered was to keep the rails and stiles as they are but to 'plant on' mouldings cut from regular oak stock (no pippy or cat's paw figuring). This would've provided more of a division between the two, particularly down that bottom-right hand corner.

...Sorry, I don't mean for that to sound critical! :oops: :)

I wouldn't take away from the general 'lack of responses' that people do not like your work... Truth is, many people seem to prefer to view and follow these threads anonymously while others (newbies and those less-experienced than yourself) may feel they lack a certain amount of something to justify their comments and opinions. Also, it's mainly the threads where people ask lots of questions that get the highest number of response - but, you seem to know what you are doing! :wink:

I certainly appreciate all the WIP threads. Definitely building me up to the stage of clearing out the garage and going out and spanking the credit card...

Olly, been copying this from a picture I was given with rough dimentions and asked to make it from pippy oak, so thats what I've been doing. I'm taking no offence at all from the comments, as I've said, shouldn't post without expecting something negative. I think they'll look right when all together and had I'd done as has been suggested they may have looked a little "2 tone" if you know what I mean? As long as I get paid I'll be happy :wink:

Thanks for taking the time to comment again :)

It's looking really well, keep the pics coming. I'm looking forward to seeing it with finish applied.
Neil

As a newbie I think they look great - hopefully one day I'll be able to make something that nice.
The only criticism I can see is that you can see the edge of the rebate for the back in the top.
I can't wait to see how you finish them.

Finally finished the cabinets and delivered them today. The camera decided to chuck it while taking the pics so only 2 and none with the doors open. Colour is a little to golden so may be adding a coat of something later to darken then but this is in the store and not the customers home, we'll see!

2m5o12c.jpg

wrdobo.jpg

Hey nice job, that finish has really brought out the grain and figure. Very well put together, good work that =D>

OPJ":3ee7wb9u said:
...others (newbies and those less-experienced than yourself) may feel they lack a certain amount of something to justify their comments and opinions...

That's a perceptive comment Olly. I fall into that category and I do feel bad not commenting on many WIPs, but since I haven't even got to the point where I can post my first WIP, I must admit it is difficult to critique something I can only aspire to at this point! That said, Bloonose, please do understand that those of us who view but don't comment learn a great amount from people such as yourselves posting WIP threads, so please do carry on!! The noob brigade will make it up to you and post our work when we have the skills :lol: :wink:

Since I'm posting, my opinion (for what it's worth :wink: ) is that they look very solid and well-made, if a little chucky to my taste, and I absolutely love that pippy oak. I'd agree with the comments on using the pippy stuff for just the panels, I think it would tone it down a little as a lot of figuring on wood is quite attention-grabbing, but that comes down to personal preference. It's clear you work to a very high standard, and they turned out great. Shame the camera gave in on you - would've been good to see a few more pics of the finished pieces.

Thanks for taking the time to post - it is appreciated!!

When you stand back and look at the whole finished picture, I think you can see that it has worked out very well indeed. Well done! :)

If they asked to have it stained darker, do you also worry that this could make the knots less pronounced?

Thank you for the comments, they have been a real talking point in the store today already! people think that they may have been painted to look like this :shock: ( same sort of thing as marbling). I think they will be getting a coat of Osmo Cognac to "Brown" them a little as they are a little orangey in bright lighting. Still think they were right to be in pippy all over as the less pippy parts really stand out. Will take some more pics with doors open etc Friday :wink:

Bloonose":4lobs1ur said:
Still think they were right to be in pippy all over as the less pippy parts really stand out.

I was in the anti-pippy all over for aesthetics when looking at just the doors, but I think it works much better on the assembled whole.

Very nice job and I did nearly make the comment earlier that the tops looked like marble from the angle and with the shine in the photo. Wouldn't have had the cheek to say they look painted on though...

I love the wood, the piece selected for the top is stunning. I was firmly in the pippy door panels only camp but now that I see the whole piece together I'm not so sure I think I like it pippy all over.

I'm not really keen on plinths as pieces of furniture in general, they always look like an accident wating to happen to me :D. This is a nice build though and clearly very well made. I'm particularly interested in the mouldings because IIRC you said they were done on a router table. Presumably in several passes considering the size of the mouldings.

Anyway, as a newbie cabinet maker I find the WIP posts really useful, long may they continue. I learn a lot from them and I hope that I get good enough that I feel I can post WIP pictures for my own projects.

Thought I'd include a picture of a replacemant Table Top I made from the same wood, I'll show a pic of the full table in situ in a few days..
346nsas.jpg

Back