Finish for Birch ply faced drawing board

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulc

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I have just completed making a Torsion Box Drawing Board - very close to the FWW plans for same. (had considered melamine but coudn't source the right sort) It is faced with birch ply and has beech edging. While a may purchase a vinyl drawing surface at some point for now I was wondering what forum users might recommend to finish it.

I have a very small workshop so I'm always conscious of possible spills so would like to waterproof it but I'm not sure what implications a glossy finish might have for laying paper / using compass etc.

What did you use / would you recommend?

Cheers

I've not made one, but if I did I would use something like this - http://www.toolstation.com/search?searc ... 44%2012702 - Rustins Quick Dry Varnish - available in Satin as an alternative to gloss. You could probably find something similar in a matt, or just knock back the surface when dry, using very fine abrasive paper or steel wool, until it suits your preference. Or else a non-slip flooring varnish, though you may need to buy that in a bigger tin.

Latest posts

Back