Finding the right lock for french windows - terminology.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dee J

Established Member
Reaction score
I have an old pair of wooden french windows (i.e glazed doors - not windows from France (although I have some of those too))... and the lock has been removed / lost. I understand it's a narrow stile sash mortice lock I need - lever+key operation. 2" case depth (depending where its measured). The complication comes from the rebated edges of the doors - the lock and striker plate need to be stepped to fit the rebate. There my Google-fu fails me. There is obviously some correct term of description for that rebated / shaped front plate and striker plated. Anyone know what search term I should use, or have any links to such a lock type - or even have any likely candidate lurking under the bench (even if I have to make a key to fit). Thanks.

Surprised a search for a rebate lock or rebate kit doesn't throw up something suitable. The one on my french doors is just a 5 lever with a rebate kit.

Thanks both. Seems I just had the search terms in the wrong order. Stressing rebated first brings up the the right items.

I think Union make a 2" sashlock with a 36mm back set.

I guess the standard union rebate will fit.

Back