Sash window catches wanted.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toolsntat

Yep, I collect tools and tat
Reaction score
I'm searching in vain for one, possibly two catches to fit onto a nice old sash window I'm restoring.

To date I've looked a quite a few and in many ways most are not fit for purpose being poorly manufactured, wrong pattern knob, not enough depth etc.

Ideally I need brass, a plain knob, at least 6mm between plates when latched, not a "narrow" fit, latches properly and gives a bit of lift to the action.

Recycled/salvaged is preferred but if a new one is suitable that's not a problem.

Already dismissed many Google offerings, ironmongery direct and Broughtons of Anstey, who have the £114 Frank Allart model on display with a broken catch plate 😵

Cheers, Andy

I'm searching in vain for one, possibly two catches to fit onto a nice old sash window I'm restoring.

To date I've looked a quite a few and in many ways most are not fit for purpose being poorly manufactured, wrong pattern knob, not enough depth etc.

Ideally I need brass, a plain knob, at least 6mm between plates when latched, not a "narrow" fit, latches properly and gives a bit of lift to the action.

Recycled/salvaged is preferred but if a new one is suitable that's not a problem.

Already dismissed many Google offerings, ironmongery direct and Broughtons of Anstey, who have the £114 Frank Allart model on display with a broken catch plate 😵

Cheers, Andy
Not sure who you've tried, but Reddiseals are pretty good for sash hardware. I suspect that tracking down two of the exact vintage catch you want, might prove a thankless task. Lots, I have removed over the years have been damaged or are non functioning. And at present I have none in my stash of old hardware

Are you talking about Brighton catches London pattern or otherwise, Fitch catches, hook catches, wedge arm type.? There are many options.
Frank Allart are taking the water.

For new ones try SDS london they will supply unlaquered ones if you ask them.
Also there are often reclaimed ones on Etsy.

I used to sell a few to a shop in Hungerford, he really polishes them up (too much in my opinion) and sells them.

If you put a picture of what you are after I might have some in the bucket of random ironmongery.

Ollie

Thanks for the replies.
Yes, Reddiseals and Mighton tried.

https://www.broughtons.com/store/pr...rant-sash-fastener-antique-brass-unlacquered/
This is the type of thing we're thinking of.

It's 53" wide with a brush seal between the meeting rail.
One would work but being four lights wide it'd balance better with two, at the same time reducing the pull required to hold together.

Ollie and Dick, it'd be interesting if something was available but I wouldn't want to put you to any trouble.
Cheers, Andy

I will have a look.
I have probably taken hundred of those to the metal recycling over the years.

They look nice but are actually not very good.
Reasons being they do not help to compress the draught proof pile, they can be broken into with a ruler and also are not tolerant to any vertical misalignment.

I almost always fit a good quality Brighton catch. Which solves all the above problems.
Croft do nice ones at about 35 quid.

Ollie

Aston Quadrant Sash Fasteners..............What 115 QUID ?

Edit, Apologies got it wrong........................114 QUID !

Last edited:
Hmmm. Found two of the catch plates for these, but can't so far find the other half!
Well, the good news is I've found the catches; less good is that there isn't an exactly matching pair. If any of the ones in the pic are any use, you are welcome to them. And in passing, it horrified me to discover how much STUFF has accumulated in my various sorts drawers over the years.

Attachments

• Catches.JPG
    Catches.JPG
    506.1 KB · Views: 0
These are the only ones I have with a dovetail keep.
20221004_102106.jpg

Loads of normal quadrant stays though.

I still recommend Brighton style though. I normally fit these.
20221004_103008.jpg

Croft Brighton on the left ( nickel plated)
Narrow locking Brighton on the right in satin chrome(from sds I think) better for double glazing as the others won't fit on the top sash.

Ollie

Apologies for lack of recent response from myself and thanks for your input.

These are the only ones I have with a dovetail keep.
View attachment 144798

Loads of normal quadrant stays though.

I still recommend Brighton style though. I normally fit these.
View attachment 144799

Croft Brighton on the left ( nickel plated)
Narrow locking Brighton on the right in satin chrome(from sds I think) better for double glazing as the others won't fit on the top sash.

Ollie

Many thanks, those look like a great pair Ollie but the receded look isn't favourable in this instance (might see if I can influence the decision though) along with the Brighton style.

Cheers, Andy

Well, the good news is I've found the catches; less good is that there isn't an exactly matching pair. If any of the ones in the pic are any use, you are welcome to them. And in passing, it horrified me to discover how much STUFF has accumulated in my various sorts drawers over the years.

Many thanks Dickm, the centre top one has the look we're after but without the dovetailed keep.
I've previously rejected these as the latching has the ability to "slip" off the two square faces but I've just had the thought that I might be able to rework this situation with a bit of file working on those square faces.
Basically, if I introduce a bevel it would no longer want to slip apart under pressure.
Leave it with me Dick and I'll see where things go from here.
Cheers, Andy

I hope you are all able to follow and understand what I mean from my written ramblings in this thread, it's hard for me to convey the situation in writing when a short verbal discussion would suffice.
Cheers, Andy

Latest posts

Back