Finally accepting it's time to hang up my tools.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benchwayze

Established Member
Reaction score
Sadly I am having to call it a day for heavy, serious woodwork.

I am having great difficulty in caring for my wife, who has Parkinson's disease as well as suspect Alzheimer's.
My own health is also borderline, as a type 2 diabetic, frantically trying to lose weight.
So enough of my problems.

My time in the workshop is becoming more and more limited, so reluctantly I took the decision to give in. I haven't the courage to stop altogether, and I want to keep a handwork shop in the yard. (When I can finish erecting the damn thing!)

I am retaining the machines and power tools for my son, for whatever he wishes to do with them. but I shall be concentrating on small items of handwork.

Initially, I shall be disposing of a fair amount of timber in piecemeal packages.
As for tools, I have quite a number of planes, (Surprise-surprise) so at the moment I am slowly sorting through hand-tools I can dispose of.

If anyone wishes to drop by, and have a look at the timber you might be interested in, just PM me. (I live close by Junction 7 M6, so if you PM me, I'll give you the post code so you can have a shufty. )

I've enjoyed my woodwork, and had a lot of fun, whiled away a lot of hours. I've met a lot of great people, had my fair share of articles published in the 'comics', as Jacob puts it. I even enjoyed 'debating' with some folk on forums, and don't intend to stop visiting UKW.
So you lot better behave 'cos I'll be watching! :lol:

Thanks to everyone for your chats, contributions, and friendships. I wish you all the best of luck.
Don't forget. Machines don't know the difference between timber and flesh. (I have all my digits !) The only thing now that might get rid of a few is my diabetes!

Regards
John

Sorry to hear that John, but glad that you're still staying involved in smaller stuff. It's admirable to put your wife and your own health as top priority :)

Sorry to hear that John
Having watched your posts am not entirely surprised
A situation we probably all dread.

Can I suggest you hang on to the tools for a while.
One day your lad might decide it's a hobby for him

I only got interested after I hit 50 and regret my dad (who was a joiner) died before I took it up seriously.
My mum by this time had disposed of most of his kit........ I had declined it.
I have a few bits and it tugs the heart strings when I use them.

Sorry to hear that, mate. It sounds uncomfortably like what I'm likely to face in a very few years; just hope I can face up to it equally clearly. Like you, I've got lifetme's investment in tools and machinery, fortunately with two sons in law who have similar interests and will probably help with rehomig kit when the time comes.
But hang in there for as long as you can - wood helps to keep us sane in a mad world.

Echoing other people sentiments, I'm sorry to hear too. It would be nice to keep doing smaller scale things like hand made boxes to get the benefits without the downside. Devonwoody's tissue boxes spring to mind. Lovely finished items that incorporate all the key items in processing wood by hand. Just a thought so this isn't as much a stopping, more of a shift in emphasis.

Always sad to hear something like this, it's woodworking and this website that has kept me sane! Just remember you still have a lot to offer rookies like myself.

Take care.

Stew

As a relatively newbie on here I wish you and your good lady all the best, I know how you feel, I had to give up my job because of injuries sustained through an RTA. I have just started in this game but for pleasure, not gain. I can stop when I want and sit down on the job so no stress or dead-lines to meet. If you lived a little closer I would buy some of your timbers…….all the best..bb

Always sad when someone has to give up something they love but I'm glad you will be keeping your hand in with smaller jobs.
Best wishes to you and your wife'

Bill

All the best to both you and your wife, John. I think you must be a good man to know in a tight spot if you get my meaning. Change is always hard to bear for most of us but it looks like you're doing it the right way if you don't mind me saying from what little I know
Hopefully without sermonising, the way we adapt to the change is what marks us out. Glad you'll keep your hand in
and be sticking around. All the best with everything.
Chris

Just want to echo the good wishes for you and yours. Don't have much knowledge of woodworking, but I have some experience of caring - hope you do try to look after yourself as well.

Hi John,
Sorry to hear of your predicament.I know how you feel with the Diabetes as I am in the same boat.I am glad that you cam still keep your hand in and do something when you have the time.Look after your wife,yourself and the Dahlias.

Peter.

Like everyone else I was really sorry to read your post. As a relatively newbie myself I've valued a lot of your comments and am pleased to hear you'll still be keeping an eye on all of us sprogs.

Very best wishes to both your good self and of course to Mrs. Benchwayze in a very tough situation.

AES

From the opposite end of the world, sorry to hear of your (and your wife's) failing health.

I'm 60, so I figure I don't have a lot of years left either. I've been gathering tools to use in my retirement - and sometimes wonder if I'll get to enjoy using them.

Keep in touch via the forum.

Cheers, Vann.

Back