Filling knot holes, external application

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DFC1047

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I have made some new window shutters which will be subjest to quite heavy weathering, being on the west side of my house.
The wood is chestnut, which is the wood most often used here for such jobs.There are a few places where knots have fallen out, leaving a couple of holes , although not all the way through ( sorry for the inintended pun ! )Biggest hole is about 1" and penetrates about 3/4 ".
The wood will be varnished eventually.
Any advice on best way to fill the holes. Appearance is not a major factor , although it does need to look "something like".
Thanks in advance

My suggestion would be to use a piece of the same material to fill the hole. i.e. drill out the knot so you have a nice clean hole, then insert a small piece of unblemished chestnut (a small piece from an offcut) made into a dowel to fit the hole. Cheers, W2S

Just as an alternative twist on that idea: cut a shallow mortice (say 6-12mm for a 3/4" depth) around the knot hole so that it's squared off. Then insert a patch from an offcut to fill it. This may make it easier (than a dowel) to match the wood grain direction/pattern.

I think the technical term is 'inserting a dutchman' but best to use google with safesearch turned on I suspect!

Woody2Shoes":2ajsbv2q said:
I think the technical term is 'inserting a dutchman' but best to use google with safesearch turned on I suspect!

:lol: You mean to say I haven't invented something new; it's been thought of before! Well, I never heard that term before - at least not in this context :shock:

Always learning...

DFC1047":w75mbi1l said:
Great idea !!! .........never crossed my mind....thanks.
Learning every day !!
You can get router cutter/guide bush sets to match to enable you to make & use one template for both the mortice and the in fill piece (dutchman). Might make it quicker if you have a lot of knots to do

Thanks again.
I have 4 or 5 to do on flat boards, roughly same size, so I think I will go with the template. Should provide perfect result.

Back