Filling gaps

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigMac

Established Member
Reaction score
Maybe a bit more DIY than proper woody but I'm sure some of you helpful fellows know.

I've got assorted gaps in skirting and architraves round the house from having unused telephone sockets taken out and old door handles taken out (and new ones put in a different place).

Whats the best / easiest way to fill these and get a semi-decent finish (not got the time/money/inclination to replace)? I was just thinking polyfilla sanded down to match the profile, would that work?

Cheers,

BigMac

BigMac":9vlwv0yv said:
Maybe a bit more DIY than proper woody but I'm sure some of you helpful fellows know.

I've got assorted gaps in skirting and architraves round the house from having unused telephone sockets taken out and old door handles taken out (and new ones put in a different place).

Whats the best / easiest way to fill these and get a semi-decent finish (not got the time/money/inclination to replace)? I was just thinking polyfilla sanded down to match the profile, would that work?

Cheers,

BigMac

Polyfilla isn't the best material for trying to create a profile although it would fill a gap in flat wood. For flat would you'd be best setting a new bit of wood in the hole and gluing it, possibly a bit of wood filler if required. For profile, if you can't get a match, look at some kind of epoxy putty like milliput, Screwfix do their own 2 party putty, it holds it's shape and so can be molded to a profile and sets rock solid, it can then be filed or sanded if required. I repaired an old mirror with a gilt plaster frame in this manner many years ago.

Wood filler is the thing, the two part stuff that comes with a catalyst - there is a Ronseal product sold by the sheds but there will probably be cheaper alternatives. For flattening, a rubber block with sandpaper is good and makes less dust than a sander

If you have a timber merchant near you, you may be pleasantly surprised how cheap skirting is - to be honest, I usually replace rather than spend ages on my hands and knees sanding.

Ratter":35xo7j2w said:
If you have a timber merchant near you, you may be pleasantly surprised how cheap skirting is - to be honest, I usually replace rather than spend ages on my hands and knees sanding.

Indeed, I've put 9" skirting in each room of my house as I rennovate and it runs to about £70 a room. OK it's architrave and 6" board that I biscuit joint together, but it works well.

Hi BigMac

Don't use polyfilla, It'll just fall out over time - not much good as a gap filler IMO.

One of the wood fillers mentioned above should be good or, as has been suggested just replace the skirting.

regards

Brian

Other tricks I've used around the house are:

• If the profile is damaged chisel away a rectangular area including the
    profile and glue in a matching section cut from a smaller piece.
  • Or glue in a bigger (but small) piece of timber and sand the profile onto it to match once dry
  • Surface damage can be fixed similarly. Chisel out a shallow rectangle bigger than the damaged area say 3-4mm deep. Cut a piece of thin 4-5mm simple flat wood from the moldings rack to fit the shallow area. Then glue this in almost flush and sand it flat.
The last method is also good on old pine doors with old latch holes etc. I've done a lot with a length of 40mm x 5mm flat molding.

Back