Filler

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Slim":31babeyx said:
steve tighe":31babeyx said:
This is a UK forum,use UK terminology.

OK, can you give me the "UK" terminology for snipe and climb cutting?

Yeah,snipe is the cutters digging into the timber because it's either not been fed into or pulled out of the underhand properly (however it's more commonly seen on overhand machining,especially if the outfeed table isn't set up right) & climb cutting is just routering in the wrong direction.

UK terminology for snipe-clumsy.

UK terminology for climb cutting-hasn't a clue what they're doing.

Will they do ?

Seen them both & it's painful to watch,it really is.

The BBC wasn't allowed to broadcast for many years as the Navy opposed any transmissions that might interfere with their communications. When finally they went on the air they set up a group to establish common pronunciation through out the UK. The group still operates I believe.
It took more than one generation for their efforts to bear fruit, and moving around the country as I did when I was younger, I not infrequently put my foot in it as I found that sayings, common in one area, were completely misunderstood in another, as with Bodger and Skiver.
George Bernard Shaw suggested that we and the Americans were cousins divided by a common language, so were parts of the UK.

Roy.

Bodger's an interesting one Roy,apart from the two obvious meanings,one being a chair component turner,I was told years ago that what we call draw bore pins northern steel fixers used to call them bodgers,if they were trying to join up steel sections together (rsj's etc) they'd get the holes close enough & use the pins or bodgers to line them up properly,the pins being tapered,well that'd make sense to me alright.

Yeah,snipe is the cutters digging into the timber because it's either not been fed into or pulled out of the underhand properly (however it's more commonly seen on overhand machining,especially if the outfeed table isn't set up right) & climb cutting is just routering in the wrong direction.

UK terminology for snipe-clumsy.

UK terminology for climb cutting-hasn't a clue what they're doing.

Will they do ?

Seen them both & it's painful to watch,it really is.
Yes, thank you Steve, I do know what they mean. :roll:

You seemed to be having a go at us for using Dutchman, snipe and climb cutting because they are american terms (which I am not convinced about).

Why does it matter anyway?

Also, climb cutting is a legitimate technique for cleaning up a cut or preventing tear out. It's not just for people who haven't got a clue.

Anyway AndrewM,digressions aside,hope some of these answers helped.
grin.gif

That's stranger than you know then Steve. I was born, and worked, in Bedfordshire and there a Bodger was any poor craftsman, yet not a million miles down the road it was a chair maker.
My excuse is that I've worked with Russians, Latvians, Lithuanians, Germans, Poles, Hungarians, Italians, Americans, Canadians, South Africans, Australians, Indians, Pakistanis, West Indians, Scots, Welsh, Irish and even the odd Englishman.
I even met a practicing Voodooist once!

Roy.

Slim":11af86nq said:
steve tighe":11af86nq said:
This is a UK forum,use UK terminology.

OK, can you give me the "UK" terminology for snipe and climb cutting?

You asked,that's why...

My point Slim,is that as this is a UK forum with the strong possibility that most of the users are from the UK that it might not be a bad idea to check out where some of the terminology originated from ?

Or because it came from an article in a magazine,it's gospel...?

As has just been shown on here,there's a strong possibility that there's more then one name to describe something.

I know Roy,had a place down in High Wycombe for a while,was interesting listening to one of the old boys giving us a brief summary of how Wycombe became famous for for it's chairs & furniture.Those damned londoners !!!

You anywhere near Biddenham ? I like fishing the ouse round there :)

Not now Steve, I'm so far west that a few yards more and I'd be paddling in Cardigan Bay.
I was born in Dunstable, and rather glad I'm not there now. Much quieter here.

Roy.

Back