Festool TKS 80 table top, is this acceptable?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark18PLL

Established Member
Reaction score
I have just had delivered a tks80 but i am having a nightmare with the throat plate (insert). It was not flush with the table top so i used the adjusters, no matter what i do it is either not level or it sticks up at one end. I dont remember my old dewalt being this hard, in fact it took me about 20 mins at most, this has taken 3 hours on and off.

I have put my woodpeckers rule across with a light behind to check how flat it is, would you think this is acceptable? I can't lift the throat plate anymore as its not flush at the edges as it is.

Attachments

• IMG_2121.JPG
    IMG_2121.JPG
    105 KB · Views: 155
I wouldn't accept that, especially given the cost of a TSK80 - send it back
Cheers Mike, i cant believe its like that and wasn't expecting it but i started to think that because its a aluminium top that its not perfect, do you think the aluminium top should be perfectly flat and durable? I am not in any way comparing to cast iron.

Cheers

Normally I wouldn't expect a site saw to be as flat as a cast iron top but this can't be right for a Festool. Having said that I don't own one so defer to others who may do.

some more pics i took. Looks like a dip in the table, not good Festool.

Attachments

• IMG_2123.JPG
    IMG_2123.JPG
    61.5 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_2124.JPG
    IMG_2124.JPG
    83.6 KB · Views: 86
I have put my woodpeckers rule across with a light behind to check how flat it is, would you think this is acceptable? I can't lift the throat plate anymore as its not flush at the edges as it is.

That's obviously not right. It's hard to tell from photos, but I do not understand why the throat plate would need to be lifted "anymore", it looks like it is too high now. I would (i) take the throat plate out and chuck a straightedge over the tables and adjust them per the manual (assuming family resemblance with CS70), and then check the plate for bowing etc as well. Wind the plate adjusters right back down and check the tables again with it back in.

That's obviously not right. It's hard to tell from photos, but I do not understand why the throat plate would need to be lifted "anymore", it looks like it is too high now. I would (i) take the throat plate out and chuck a straightedge over the tables and adjust them per the manual (assuming family resemblance with CS70), and then check the plate for bowing etc as well. Wind the plate adjusters right back down and check the tables again with it back in.

You are right, the throat plate is too high but when i do manage to get it (nearly level) the other end lifts up. I checked the throat plate and its is nearly flat, still not good enough though for such a costly tool. I have also put my straight edge on the actual table and i can get three/four sheets of paper in the gap.

thanks
Mark

Festool do tend to stand by their reputation. Tell 'em many people on a woodwork forum agreed it wasn't acceptable ;-)
It only arrived on friday and tbh the company i purchased from seem really good, this could be the big test for them.

That is annoying, will be interesting to see what Festool see as acceptable for a site saw.

Good luck getting it sorted.

That is annoying, will be interesting to see what Festool see as acceptable for a site saw.

Good luck getting it sorted.
Yes but the thought of speaking to them is making me nervous, i arm just hoping they don't tell me its a site saw, it will do what its supposed to. The thing is, why would it have fine adjustments if it was not meant for some precision?

perhaps they are getting them made in China.....???
go to the store, if poss and check another machine out of the box....
if thats the same get your money back.......

perhaps they are getting them made in China.....???
go to the store, if poss and check another machine out of the box....
if thats the same get your money back.......
It says its made in the Czech Republic.

I have tried to adjust the throat plate again today, my understanding is it should be flush with the table because if its not then it might nudge the workpiece as you are pushing it through, this would apply if its raised above or slightly below.

Does that sound about right? im starting to doubt myself lol.

Cheers

If it comes to it I presume Festool still have their no quibble 14 day return policy if you decide the saw is not for you?

Is the bow throughout the length of the table or dished in the middle? Just wondered how the motor is mounted on the table and whether it’s weighing down the tabletop causing deflection.

Is the bow throughout the length of the table or dished in the middle? Just wondered how the motor is mounted on the table and whether it’s weighing down the tabletop causing deflection.
Thats very possible and that would probably mean they are all the same.

Whatever the reason, it's not meeting your expectations for such an expensive saw. I doubt very much they will argue the toss with you, they are far more likely to just swap it or refund you. As @pe2dave suggests, just tell them members of this forum agree with you that it is unacceptable.

Whatever the reason, it's not meeting your expectations for such an expensive saw. I doubt very much they will argue the toss with you, they are far more likely to just swap it or refund you. As @pe2dave suggests, just tell them members of this forum agree with you that it is unacceptable.
Thanks 👍🏻

Yes but the thought of speaking to them is making me nervous, i arm just hoping they don't tell me its a site saw, it will do what its supposed to. The thing is, why would it have fine adjustments if it was not meant for some precision?

Thing is it makes no difference what brand it is or how much it cost it is a site saw. If it does not meet your expectations send it back but do a lot more research before you buy a replacement.

Looks like its going back and being replaced, thanks for you help. Tbh though i am actually considering cancelling the replacement and buying something else like the Dewalt, purely because i am not convinced it is actually much better.

Cheers

Back