Festool CXS compared to 14.4V Dewalt NiMH

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tried the Screwfix Goldscrew Plus screws - very similar to Spax and much cheaper. I've stuck with the cheapest screwfix twinthread screws for years and didn't realise just how much more torque they take to drive.

Peter - has to be 18v PDC and very good reason for that: justification to get the 18V Carvex - will already have the 4.2Ah PDC batteries! Not too worried about noise - will rarely use hammer action but handy and also like the high RPM on the PDC. Clean holes with pocket joinery for example.

Gidon

Pete , how do you get on with the souber ? They seem a bit slow in the videos as it seems to rout rather than drill. Not as fast as an auger bit.

I keep getting batches of doors 100 plus on the job I'm on and looked at the souber

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

chippy1970":2axyrwc3 said:
Pete , how do you get on with the souber ? They seem a bit slow in the videos as it seems to rout rather than drill. Not as fast as an auger bit.

I keep getting batches of doors 100 plus on the job I'm on and looked at the souber

Hey Chris. I put off buying one for ages just because they were relatively expensive and I don't do that many door locks, but I splashed out last time there was an offer on and am really pleased with it. It's very good at what it does - cutting out a lock mortice on a door that's already hung; I don't find it slower than an auger - and it's a lot more controllable, at least in my hands!

Certainly don't regret buying it, even if it only gets used once in a while.

HT Pete

Did you buy the plunging cutters, I've read they cut quicker

Got the PDC :). Will try and post a review at some stage comparing the CXS, 14.4 Dewalt and PDC.

Sad how much I enjoyed playing with it last night! Beautifully balanced and incredibly powerful - I've yet to challenge it yet ... Loving the electronic torque control.

Gidon

I'm immune to their plan to take over the world. I had a salesman persuade me to try some Festool tools last year and I wasn't that impressed TBH. They don't do the job any better than my Makita and they're at least twice the price. I personally think a lot of their popularity is down to brand snobbery (due to the price) and keeping up with the Jones'.

That is a classic example of inverse snobbery though! I purchased a Festool C12 and bought into the centrotec system 7 years ago, the batteries are pretty much done now but it still gets some use. It's seen some hard work, harder than it should have to be honest but in that time one of my colleagues has been through 2 new bodies and 4 new batteries from Makita.

The C12 is precise, controllable and solid in the hand. The makita drills I have experienced fall to bits in quick time.

So I paid around £360 for the drill, 2 batteries and the accessory chuck kit (right angle, centrotec and standard) and got a solid 7 years of use. The chucks are now in the box of my new Festool T15 which saved me from buying them again.

My colleague has spent over £900 and needs to buy yet another new drill.

I'll continue to use Festool, it's good value for money.

Latest posts

Back