Festool Connecting piece FSV/2 - Alternatives

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 482102 is the earlier version of the rail joining bars (you need 2 of them) and are what I use on the very, very rare occasions that I have to join 2 rails together. I bought mine back in 2015.

The 577039 are the latest much improved version and come as a pair ( about £40).

Quite honestly, if I had a need to replace mine for some reason, I would go with the newer version and pay the extra £8.10p

The latest version is self aligning, whereas the early version requires an accurate straight edge to ensure the joined rails are perfectly straight. Even after the rails are joined using the early version, it's really easy to get the joint to move and cause inaccuracies whilst moving the joined rails around.

Last edited:
mmmm, I know you are right, better quality and functionality, but I have owned the saw for 6 years and this is the first time I have needed to lengthen the track, it will be another six years before I'll us use again.

mmmm, I know you are right, better quality and functionality, but I have owned the saw for 6 years and this is the first time I have needed to lengthen the track, it will be another six years before I'll us use again.
Well, if that's the case then, just buy 2 x of the 482102.....but you're only saving about £8.00!
Just make sure your rail alignment is bang on and if you need to move the 2 joined rails, check the squareness again before making another cut.

The 482102 is the earlier version of the rail joining bars (you need 2 of them) and are what I use on the very, very rare occasions that I have to join 2 rails together. I bought mine back in 2015.

The 577039 are the latest much improved version and come as a pair ( about £40).

Quite honestly, if I had a need to replace mine for some reason, I would go with the newer version and pay the extra £8.10p

The latest version is self aligning, whereas the early version requires an accurate straight edge to ensure the joined rails are perfectly straight. Even after the rails are joined using the early version, it's really easy to get the joint to move and cause inaccuracies whilst moving the joined rails around.
I have the old type and have been temptred by the new one. Good to hear it works better.

I use Makita connectors with mine Festool rails - MAKITA 198885-7 - just £16.00 for two connectors (I got them for 24 EUR a year ago). With the help of a straight edge, of course. And it is better than original Festool 482102 as it doesn't dig into the rail with those bolts...

New Festool connectors look interesting, didn't know about those. Or better yet TSO GRC-12 Self-Aligning Guide Rail Connectors. But that is $59.95...

Last edited:
Anyone bought these from Norfolk Tools or alternatives

Festool 482102 Connecting Piece - Norfolk Saw Services

I don't want to pay the current Festool price of £40.00
The Festool 577039 Guide Rail Connectors are a quality product, they are less expensive than the competitors and will ensure that you have correctly aligned joints.

you can cheap out and buy some bar stock and drill it yourself. You will need to ensure that each time you join rails you get the joint’s perfectly aligned. The Festool 577039 avoids this.

Personally I only had the choice of the 482102 there were no others when I was buying the 577039 makes the process foolproof, that by itself makes them ideal, I have had misaligned joints because I didn’t pay attention so the new ones are a godsend.

Just as an option, please consider the features of these:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/295242460846
I bought some and like them. The biggest disadvantage is they are only 205mm (8") long.

They have the same wide foot on the screw as the TSO ones (so your track does not get dimples in it) and have the further advantage that the hex. hole for the allen key is broached fully through. That means I can drill two small holes in one track and tighten everything from the top without having to turn the whole lot upside down.

Just as an option, please consider the features of these:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/295242460846
I bought some and like them. The biggest disadvantage is they are only 205mm (8") long.

They have the same wide foot on the screw as the TSO ones (so your track does not get dimples in it) and have the further advantage that the hex. hole for the allen key is broached fully through. That means I can drill two small holes in one track and tighten everything from the top without having to turn the whole lot upside down.
Having used the 482102 joiners for the last 15 years I can categorically state I have no dimples in my rails and have used them hundreds of times.
the only times you will get dimples are if you are second cousins to a gorilla or if you have not been given the correct set screws. The correct set screws have flat bottoms so don’t dimple the rails.

Back