Festool Circular Saw and Guide Rail

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

segovia

Established Member
Reaction score
I bought my Festool circular saw at the weekend, when I sit it on the 1400 guide rail the blade is right above the plastic strip that edges the guide rail. What am I dong wrong !

John :roll: :?

That's right - that's how it should be. The user guide details the instructions, but you are now supposed to trim the plastic trip. Dial speed to 1, set depth to 6-7 mm and run the saw over some sacrificial board/ply/MDF to trim it. After that it shows you exactly where the cut will be made.

Over time, the plastic trim will wear and you will need to replace it - you also need to trim it again at that point.

I strongly recommend you read this manual:

http://www.festoolusa.com/media/pdf/ts_55_eq_us.pdf

Another tip to stop you ruining your newly made plastic rail edge is to try to start all your cuts from now on with the whole saw on the rail before you plunge in.

If you don't then the saw can move sideways where the back runners are not engaged in the track and ruin the strip buy taking more off in that point.

When I say rip 1200mm boards with my 1400 rail I keep most of the rail overhanging the start side, plunge in and make the cut in one pass. By the time the front saw runner is not engaged in the track, the cut is already done.

You will see what I mean after a couple of cuts :)

Also don't we have to cut into that green plastic chip-stopper bit on the side on our first cut to make it zero clearance??

Steve.

Thanks, that explains it.

But I have to ask the question why isn't an instruction manual included in the kit !!!!! or are they and mine has gone AWOL

Begs the question what else is missing

John

JanneKi":29knhypf said:
That's right - that's how it should be. The user guide details the instructions, but you are now supposed to trim the plastic trip. Dial speed to 1, set depth to 6-7 mm and run the saw over some sacrificial board/ply/MDF to trim it. After that it shows you exactly where the cut will be made.

Over time, the plastic trim will wear and you will need to replace it - you also need to trim it again at that point.

I strongly recommend you read this manual:

http://www.festoolusa.com/media/pdf/ts_55_eq_us.pdf

Do you have a similar link for the Festool routers http://www.festoolusa.com/media/pdf just returns an error

jOhn

segovia":2f73v7e5 said:

But I have to ask the question why isn't an instruction manual included in the kit !!!!! or are they and mine has gone AWOL

John

Yours has gone AWOL but frankly you're not missing much. The Rick Christopherson manual you got a link to above is far better, and he does one for the OF1400, google his name and festool.

The Wood Butcher":3hp4ebzu said:
segovia":3hp4ebzu said:

John

Yours has gone AWOL but frankly you're not missing much. The Rick Christopherson manual you got a link to above is far better, and he does one for the OF1400, google his name and festool.

Fantastic thanks John

Back