Festool Basis

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ByronBlack

Established Member
Reaction score
Does anyone on here own one of these or have used one? Later this year I intend to finalise the workshop and I don't want to have a large table-saw in situ as I don't have the space.

After looking at the triton for sometime (and owning a compact) i've discounted it for a number of reasons. And i'm currently looking into using a festool Basis with TS55 module to make use of my TS55 - this will save me having to buy another saw. I also intend to use it with a MFT as i read recently that these can be hooked up to make a larger work surface if required.

Any thoughts on either of these two products would be much appreciated. I've read many reviews etc.. all of which are overwhelmingly positive, so I thought i'd try to combine that with a some personal experiences..

i have the basis router module which apart from the fine height adjuster is very good. I have it mounted in a mdf table but i am sure it would be alot better in the proper CMS table. I had similar ideas to you when space was more of an issue. I bought the unit it off ebay hoping more bits would come along but people never seem to sell which i guess must be a fairly good indicator that people really like it (or not many people owe them). I had a fiddle with the sliding table and it is very good.

I have been fitting my loft room out and i can see the advantage as i have had to lug everything twice as very little fits up the narrow staircase, so ihave had to do the work off site. I would expect if you had the router unit and the saw it would make a very good compact unit.

Ironically i am selling my unit after being inspired by yourself and others to build a router table after gaining a bigger work area.

Owen

Hi Owen,

Thanks for the feedback - I saw some of your posts on an earlier search I did. I've decided that I probably wouldn't use the festool basis for the router-aspect as I have triton router and thats great in a regular table which i've already started to build, so it really is just the TS55 Saw module that I would end up using.

Atleast you have confirmed the quality - not that is generally in question with festool gear. Do you think the sliding table would be a worthwile purchase? I imagine I would do most of crosscuts on the MFT which means that the TS55 will mostly be used for ripping long boards.

The sliding table looks really handy for cross cutting to size acurately and would save you needing a big chop saw station. It is very easy to take on and off, no more than 2 mins, and the way it is mounted would mean that it is square etc.
I think you would want the rear extension table too.

2 MINS FOR THE SLIDING TABLE??? It's a lot quicker than that. I think the MFT is better for accurate cross cutting unless the parts are small. The CMS unit will not give the performance of a table saw though. It doesn't have a zero clearance insert and there is no way provided to fit one. You need to fit a plate next to the saw blade guard under the table to prevent it spraying dust at you.

Both units are well built of course, and can saw big bits without needing a barn to do it in.

I wish I'd bought them years ago.

Roy, thanks for the info.

To be honest, i'm not really looking for a direct replacment for a tablesaw as I rarely find the need for one. My main usage will probably on the mft (cutting panels and crosscutting), the only two operations I can see I wanted the basis was for ripping longer planks and cross-cutting smaller pieces.

With that combined with the MFT I can't really think of any other operations that I would be missing out on from not having a tablesaw?

Also, am I correct in thinking that an MFT can be directly connected to a Basis to provide a larger platform?

With the dust extraction issue you mention, using my TS55 is it still possible to have the vac connected to it whistly it's installed in the Basis module, and finally, how long does it take to remove the saw from the module and vice versa?

Seems to me that to get the basis to do what one would want it to do then the costs climb pretty steeply and I'm not sure would give you much space advantage over some of the less expensive portable table saws (and not tie up your 55 at the same time).

I have an MFT and have to say that I am becoming a big fan esp on site but be assured it is not a small thing (mine is the 1080) and its certainly not something you want to be lugging around everyday but combined with the 55 and guide rail it does a great job esp if you don't have a scoring blade or zero clearance plate on your TS. For lots of repeated cuts I would use my TS though.

If you look here you'll find some pretty comprehensive files on the MFT plus some well written user manuals for some of the other kit: http://www.festoolusa.com/woodworking.aspx

also this might be worthwhile http://festoolownersgroup.com/

Cheers

ByronBlack":3oigoo25 said:
My main usage will probably on the mft (cutting panels and crosscutting), the only two operations I can see I wanted the basis was for ripping longer planks and cross-cutting smaller pieces.

I think the saw guides on a bench are better for ripping than the CMS.

Also, am I correct in thinking that an MFT can be directly connected to a Basis to provide a larger platform?

I don't think the height is the same, but I've never bothered trying.

With the dust extraction issue you mention, using my TS55 is it still possible to have the vac connected to it whistly it's installed in the Basis module, and finally, how long does it take to remove the saw from the module and vice versa?

You can connect the vac hose ok. It takes around 5 mins to fit the saw or remove it.

Tim, Roy thanks for answering my questions.

Tim, I actually intend to use the 1080 as the basis for a large homebuilt MFT based workbench. I recently read the large PDF written by Jerry Work. He combined 3 1080 perforated tops with some extrusion that festool sell (2m long) and mounted the whole thing on some nice cast-iron veritas bench legs to make an incredibly versatile workbench and cutting station.

My aim is to start with the 1080 and build it up over time.

After reflecting on the information regarding the Basis Module system, maybe I don't need it at all if all it will be doing is x-cutting small pieces - that could be done on a bandsaw, with the larger pieces on the MFT..

unless there are any other real positive 'must-have' uses that I would be missing out on. (I don't intend to use a TS for dadoes, tenons or the like - they'll be covered by the router.).

For anyone interested in doing the same, here is a link to the large pdf article:
http://www.festoolusa.com/ProductDetail ... id=492652# (first link on the downloads section).

Here are some pics from the pdf:

455864251_99f12ad287_m.jpg

455850422_e2dd41fc5e.jpg

455850362_81107b4a97_m.jpg

455850278_4cdac82c79.jpg

455850198_8cdbb19df3.jpg

I think its a standard Festool promo at the moment - it was in their most recent newsletter and I know Hafele are offering the same.

Cheers

Tim

A bit of a late reply but something that seems to have been missed here is that the Festool Basis-Plus Table is no longer available! It has been replaced by the slightly smaller and marginally improved CMS Table. All of the Basis modules (except the old cross-cut unit) still fit in the new CMS Table though.

The difference is important when compared to the MFT table though as the CMS no longer has the same aluminium sections for the sides. This would mean that you cannot connect the MFT directly to your CMS like you used to be able with the Basis-Plus Table. Significantly, the height of the CMS is also different to the MFT (the CMS is higher), which makes the MFT of no use as an outfeed or extension table.

HI Loz,

Thanks for confirming the height issue. With regards to the basis not being sold anymore - I did realise this, but there are still some retailers selling them, hence why I asked about this product in particularly because I vaguely knew about some of it's interchangability with the MFT.

But on reflection, I dont feel I need it. Because i'll be making a larger MFT i'll be able to do all my ripping with that, and small cross-cuts can be made on the bandsaw, so I don't feel the need for any kind of TS replacement.

I just need to get all the MFT components together and build some nice sturdy legs to support it.

Back