Fermenting cupboard

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WoodMangler

Established Member
Reaction score
Gentlefolk - I offer this not because it's a masterpiece of the craftsman's art (it isn't), but because it's an easier way of making home-brew beer, and I've never seen one or heard one described.

Basically it's a heated, insulated cupboard with temperature control, about 4ft high and 2 ft square. The main frame is largely 2"x2", M&T jointed throughout (5 gallons of beer can be quite heavy). It consists of 2 chambers, the lower one containing a 70-watt tubular heater and the upper one (where the beer goes) containing a mains socket with a plug-in thermostat. The upper chamber also has a removable shelf (which can also be used as a decanting shelf below the heater chamber)). The 2 chambers are separated by a slotted floor, to allow the heat through. There is a full-width door across the front, and the front 2/3rds of the lid opens as well. All the outer apertures in the frame and the doors are filled with panels of 1" wall insulation wrapped in a thick plastic, and the whole cabinet clad in 1/4" ply. In the event of damage, any insulation panel can be easily replaced.

It will hold either a 5-gallon brewing vat, 6 1-gallon demi-johns with airlocks, or (with the shelf) 60 1-pint bottles. The thermostat holds it to the set temperature within 1 degree. I've just done my first brew in it, and it appears to have worked as designed :D
cupboard1.jpg
cupboard2a.jpg

Attachments

• cupboard1.jpg
    cupboard1.jpg
    222.7 KB · Views: 2,514
  • cupboard2a.jpg
    cupboard2a.jpg
    207.2 KB · Views: 2,511
  • cupboard2b.jpg
    cupboard2b.jpg
    197 KB · Views: 2,366
:D

I've not long ago acquired an old fridge and a temperture controller with probe for the same task....

The temp controller switches the fridge on when beery elixir is too warm, or a small tubular heater on when too cold, maintaining the desired fermenting temperature - however, it isn't made of wood and it's yet to be built or tested....!

Don't drink too much....

woodaxed":212sb8rx said:
How long does it take to brew 5 gallons of beer using that method
It's no quicker, just easier - 7(-ish) days for the initial fermentation, bottle*, 3 days for secondary fermentation, then leave in a cool shed for a couple of weeks till it's drinkable (though I usually wait a month). Works out about 25p a pint...

*Bottling is optional, google 'King Keg' (no commercial interest)

Wouldchuk":3485fhui said:
:D

I've not long ago acquired an old fridge and a temperture controller with probe for the same task....

Given that the OP ", and I've never seen one or heard one described. ", might I ask where you got the idea?

BugBear

bugbear":2f946co6 said:
Given that the OP ", and I've never seen one or heard one described. ", might I ask where you got the idea?
BugBear
Assuming that was directed at me - I've fermented in the past in a 'cupboard' made of a couple of battens between two sets of shelves, with old duvets and blankets draped over it and an ancient towel-rail as the heat-source. This had to be practically dismantled and 'remantled' every time I wanted to do anything, e.g. measure the specific gravity, and temperature control was tricky as it was difficult to make sure no holes were left in the covering blankets. Also, all those old blankets etc. in my workshop were a positive fire hazard...

Once I'd decided to make a permanent cupboard it practically designed itself.

WoodMangler":72oxc8k9 said:
Thanks for that, fascinating stuff. OTOH, having done several fermentations in my temporary set-up I knew pretty well what was needed anyway - as I said in another reply, it practically designed itself.

Heh, Our personalities clearly differ. I wouldn't build or design anything without checking "prior art" on the 'net.

BugBear

Back