felt or leather wheels...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tobytools

Established Member
Reaction score
i thought id post this here, tho its more for my carving chisels
i do a bit of turning and lately have started carving again after my accident 2 years ago.. don't ask
i can get a good edge on all my tools. the V gouge is a bit tricky... , i strop on a piece of leather but im thinking i will be quicker and better to do it on a wheel.. either felt of leather, whats best?
id use a compound of course.
i have a record power grinder 6" i believe,
what and where is a good wheel that will fit my grinder? to help me get sharper edges.
also what compound would anyone recommend...
thanks in advance

TT

If I remember correctly Ashley Iles do a kit for a grinder to covert it to work with carving tools. This includes the wheels and I think something about reversing the direction of the wheels which is easier to operate. It would be worth giving them a ring and asking.

HTH

Richard

I use the fluffy side of leather just make sure it is thin without any give otherwise it will start to round over the edges. Mine is stuck to a flat board as I find it better for keeping the edge and it sits next to the carving that I am doing so it is just a case of using the chisel and a quick strop now and again as needed. I am using the Flexicut yellow stick I also have the flexicut shaped mdf board for doing the inside once in a while just to keep any burrs clear of the cutting edge.

You could try some MDF discs used with Ashley Isles Green abrasive they are very effective at polishing a gouge and the fact that the formed contour on the MDF does not deform significantly so follows such shapes as VEE tools is useful.

Old turning tool thread link
With link to my setup of MDF Honing Disks

No reason similar can't be fitter to a bench grinder although guards may have to be swapped ends and unit turned round for wheels to be turning away from you.

Thanks for the advice,
I was dreading the answers to yet another sharpening thread ;)
The iles conversion kit is just what I need, the price how ever isnt :( at £68.88 I'm sure I could find or adapt a much cheaper way..
The MDF looks just the ticket and I may look at making a simular thing.

I think I'm going look for a carving club. Is anyone a member of one?
again thanks for the help.
It's appreciated.

TT

Back