Felder FB 510 Bandsaw Opinions Please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

orchard

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking of getting one of these (won't be until after Christmas now), and would really appreciate any opinions or feedback from those that may have/used/seen one please.

It'll form the backbone of my amateur (and possibly low volume trade eventually) shop, have to do plenty of resawing, and I expect it to last and be accurate (having been set up correctly)-- would I be disapointed with this ?

PS What would be most useful would be for @Random Orbital Bob to buy one sharpish and provide a review as comprehensive as his RP BS one ;)

Hickorystick":2mmg1fbn said:
A Step up from the Hammer !
I found this review. Looks like a beauty - Im sure you'll be impressed ! =D>

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread. ... e-feedback

Thanks mate, I like the look of the MM S400P, but that's going to be a few hundred more.
I've trawled the Web and read most of what's out there, I believe, perhaps i've been spoiled by ROB's comprehensive review!
One thing that concerns me is the working height of the table - don't get me wrong, i'm just below average male height, and it seems very low to me -is this something i'll be thankful for when re-sawing?

Hi Orchard

You're suffering from precisely the same problem that drove me to write that review in the first place. There simply isn't enough "objective" information out there on many of these machines. If any reviews do exist they're almost always in magazines and anybody working in media will tell you that the editor of a magazine is highly unlikely to bite the hand that feeds his advertising revenue with a critical review of any of the same manufacturers tooling

It could be similarly argued that even an unaffiliated "customer" like me is biased. Biased towards justifying his decision. But I was very careful to restrict my conclusions to the observable data rather than conjected opinion. That wa the gap I felt was missing in the first place Ie genuine scientific objectivity

I think there is a need for a "which" machine tools type service that reviews all the big guns. But I guess funding it would be impossible. You just have to hunker down and do what I did and actually personally see and touch each machine in the flesh. Read and challenge the specs in fine detail and if people on here are prepared to show you their machine working if it's on your list then do it

I wish you the best of luck but it certainly isn't straight forward I'm afraid

Peter Sefton":2vaetipb said:
The Hammer has been great for me but two of my students have got the Felder and are very impressed with theirs. The Felder table is a fair bit bigger but lower from memory.

Thanks for that Peter! Iirc the 5100's table is 25mm lower than the Hammer 4400, and the 6100 lower still.
Do you have any issues withthe height of the Hammer?

Haha, it appears to be the case doesn't it!

I've read a few comments in the states along these lines,like wouldn't it be good for head-to-head comparisons between the mid-range models (Laguna/Felder/MiniMax, etc), or comprehensive dispassionate reviews. Even the vendors don't show detailed images really, unless they're trying to up-sell ceramic guides.
Record's sales put me off yours, and as the 502e's been redesigned and about to re-launch, coupled with very little info on it, it's not too enticing a prospective purchase.
Wish I had more time to see the badgers first hand-which would be a start :)

Random Orbital Bob":3azehqpu said:
Hi Orchard

You're suffering from precisely the same problem that drove me to write that review in the first place. There simply isn't enough "objective" information out there on many of these machines. If any reviews do exist they're almost always in magazines and anybody working in media will tell you that the editor of a magazine is highly unlikely to bite the hand that feeds his advertising revenue with a critical review of any of the same manufacturers tooling

It could be similarly argued that even an unaffiliated "customer" like me is biased. Biased towards justifying his decision. But I was very careful to restrict my conclusions to the observable data rather than conjected opinion. That wa the gap I felt was missing in the first place Ie genuine scientific objectivity

I think there is a need for a "which" machine tools type service that reviews all the big guns. But I guess funding it would be impossible. You just have to hunker down and do what I did and actually personally see and touch each machine in the flesh. Read and challenge the specs in fine detail and if people on here are prepared to show you their machine working if it's on your list then do it

I wish you the best of luck but it certainly isn't straight forward I'm afraid

I don't have any issues with the table height personally but one of my students found it to low last year, saying that his workbench was on 6" high blocks to suit him.
I think it depends on how tall you are, what you are doing with it (fine detail cutting with a 6mm blade requires a different posture to deeping 10" stock). The other issue is what are you used too using and do you find that comfortable?

Peter Sefton":2u6bi8iy said:
I don't have any issues with the table height personally but one of my students found it to low last year, saying that his workbench was on 6" high blocks to suit him.
I think it depends on how tall you are, what you are doing with it (fine detail cutting with a 6mm blade requires a different posture to deeping 10" stock). The other issue is what are you used too using and do you find that comfortable?
As a novice i'm not used to a particular height yet Peter, so I set a table to that height (86cm) as a mock-up, and it seemed well low, mainly compared with my contractors RP TS, however, as i'm a shorty I may be over-reacting, but i'd be rather concerned if I was over 6 foot and it wasn't going to be a designated re-saw machine :)

Cheers
Nick

orchard":3j49gyo9 said:
I'm thinking of getting one of these (won't be until after Christmas now), and would really appreciate any opinions or feedback from those that may have/used/seen one please.

It'll form the backbone of my amateur (and possibly low volume trade eventually) shop, have to do plenty of resawing, and I expect it to last and be accurate (having been set up correctly)-- would I be disapointed with this ?

Felder has a bit of a marmite reputation. for me I like the accuracy Felder allow you to work. A Felder Bandsaw is very much an industrial machine. The question I would have is do you need something as powerful and large as this? How much resawing is "plenty of resawing"? If you do then properly set up Felders are great machines. If you do not need such a large machine then there are some great 16" Bandsaws out there for much less that have plenty of resawing capacity with say a 2hp motor. For instance the Hammer, Record and Axminster offerings.
If I was doing plenty of resawing I would be asking my timber supplier to do it for me on their large power fed machines rather than manually feeding wood into a bandsaw.

Thanks Pac!
I'm after accuracy and resawing. I'll resaw as much green as I can (as a hobbyist), and we intend to purchase land with woods too, so i'll be generating all my own timber.

The main reason for stepping up from the Hammer is it being unable to tension 1inch blades sufficiently, and i'd rather have an over-built model for the sake of longevity. Does this make sense? :)

PAC1":3enrw2gv said:
orchard":3enrw2gv said:

Felder has a bit of a marmite reputation. for me I like the accuracy Felder allow you to work. A Felder Bandsaw is very much an industrial machine. The question I would have is do you need something as powerful and large as this? How much resawing is "plenty of resawing"? If you do then properly set up Felders are great machines. If you do not need such a large machine then there are some great 16" Bandsaws out there for much less that have plenty of resawing capacity with say a 2hp motor. For instance the Hammer, Record and Axminster offerings.
If I was doing plenty of resawing I would be asking my timber supplier to do it for me on their large power fed machines rather than manually feeding wood into a bandsaw.

PAC1":15u130z2 said:
What sort of quantity? What sizes? for what purpose?
As much green as I can store presently as i only have a few of 4inch dry hardwood boards at the moment, and once we move whatever I can sustainably extract from circa 20 acres (maybe more) and whatever else I can get my hands on - i'll obviously acquire a horizontal mill if I get to a certain threshold.
I'll probably aim for 30-35 cm boards with this machine.
Providing my own cabinetry and possibly trade too if/when I become accomplished.

What do you think of the table height Pac?

PAC1":2tllafsi said:
This would be more appropriate for making planks 2", 3" and 4" thick http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/chainsaw-mill
I planked an 8" square balk 4' long on my bandsaw and it nearly corpsed me and took some work to support it

Haha, eventually I will (although it will need re-sawing again once dry)and i've bookmarked the links thanks, but intend to get what I can handle of interesting timber in the meantime.

Don't think i've sufficient room for this at the moment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WItDzkTk-2s

-in case you haven't seen it - looks quite a tidy set-up :)

Brilliant I now see. In that case the 510 will be great . I prefer a higher working height for detail work but for what you are doing no problem. You need another winch to pull the jig through the bandsaw!

PAC1":ag5yi1r7 said:
Brilliant I now see. In that case the 510 will be great . I prefer a higher working height for detail work but for what you are doing no problem. You need another winch to pull the jig through the bandsaw!

It won't be my sole use for it by any means, but i'd like it to be capable without stressing the machine, and although I would be happy with a 30cm resaw capacity and the 3/4 inch blade of the Hammer, I don't think i'd like to run it at full capacity frequently (if I need to for a period), especially when the industry has a reputation for exaggerating its specifications.
Good idea with the second winch, I think with a bit of experience the sled mechanism could be refined too, to permit easier adjustment, and maybe rollers on the ramp. Hope it helps make you last longer mate ;) lol

I love the idea of milling my own timber. Some of those chain saw mills do a really good job. The next step of kiln drying is something Ive not really researched. I know you can build your own kiln but how you go about it or even buy one is not something Ive looked into.
Is this in your plans ?

Hickorystick":1eciyvq0 said:
I love the idea of milling my own timber. Some of those chain saw mills do a really good job. The next step of kiln drying is something Ive not really researched. I know you can build your own kiln but how you go about it or even buy one is not something Ive looked into.
Is this in your plans ?

No mate. I intend to air dry slowly outside (covered) for a year or two, then acclimatise to the workshop level of dryness/humidity, and maybe further in similar conditions to intended usage. I am a complete noob, so please keep that in mind, but as this technique requires a few years, I need to start planning now. I'll quite happily use kiln dried for the present whilst i'm learning, but would rather not in the future, following the advice of Krenov, as I particularly appreciate his artisanal approach to working with wood and see that as something to aspire to personally.

:)

Back