Feeling Pleased with Myself

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drillbit

Established Member
Reaction score
So far, I can count the number of pieces I have made which I felt happy with on...one finger. Come close to giving up a few times.

But as of today, I will need another finger, because I finally made a box I am not ashamed of. It is not exactly free of blemishes, but it didn't split, shatter, or have a large hole in the bottom ..the lid fits snugly, I didn't create any massive dig-ins, and the walls are pretty much the same thickness all the way down...it almost (almost) turned out as I planned!

I know it's not remotely comparable with the masterpieces people show on here, but for me, it's a milestone and I hope it's ok to show off for a minute with people I know will understand why I feel the need to. And any feedback would be most welcome.

box2.jpg

box1.jpg

Attachments

• box1.jpg
    box1.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 803
  • box2.jpg
    box2.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 803
Im the same. I end up rushing most of my pieces for the comp and feel ashamed to post up the picks.

This looks good. Well done.

How did you finish it on or off the lathe? It looks like beech to me?

Hi Hudson - yes it's beech. I just used a few coats of chestnut friction polish on the lathe. Nothing else.

Lovely box. One of the areas I let myself down on is finishing. Seeing that, I need to spend more time in the shed.
Luckily for me a rather massive oak has just been felled where I work, and I helped myself to a good boot-load last night. This will allow me to keep practicing techniques for no cost other than electrikery. One day I may be happy with most of what I produce, rather than just bits & bobs.

Good man ! - nice square inside, sharp corner in the base - looks grand !

=D>

Thanks for everyone's encouraging comments. Keeps the motivation up after a lot of failures.

Peter - I am planning to be there tomorrow so I will bring it along. Unfortunately that means you will see the photos hide a multitude of sins!

Nice one. I'm the same - never quite happy with my own work! I'm sure its a sign of greatness!

That's a lovely little box. You should be very proud!

It's great when you make a piece that you can say "I'm happy with that" .... even better when you giv e it to someone and the look on their face says wow, I can't believe you made that... I love it

Keep up the good work =D>

Melinda you are quite right. Gave this straight to my mother in law who is staying with us to help with new baby due soon. She was over the moon...

Congratulations, you have a right to feel proud. =D>

I remember the first bowl I made that I could call a bowl (it was actually more like a saucer) that I managed to complete without kicking yet another failed attempt around the garage in frustration.

I still have it as a salutary reminder of where I started and also how I've progressed since.

Back