February's Challenge - THE RESULTS

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

henton49er

Established Member
Reaction score
Richard has done his judging and I have been compiling the entrants' and overall scoring :shock: , so here are the results of February's woodturning challenge - a fisherman's priest.

Judges Scoring:

Richard's comments and scores allocated [by me]:-

Well done to all the entrants. Nice to see so many this month and a very wide range of interpretations of the brief.

1st Nev. Really well turned and finished and a classic shape. Well done. [10 points]

2nd SheptonPhil. Another classic design really well executed. Good choice of timber which may not have been simple to turn. Great result. [8 points]

3rd Sammo. A less classic design which has grown on me over the last few days that I have been looking in on this thread. Well turned and finished. Good work. [6 points]

4th HeatherW. A really simple design but well executed. [4 points]

5th Random Orbit Bob. A high standard of finishing and good timber choice. There is a slight evidence of a centre mark on the handle which got this entry marked down. I thought it was an interesting choice of shape, being concave on the striking face but I guess it should still do the job (you know better than me as you are the fisherman!) [2 points]

All other entrants get one point each.

Well done all. Keep up the good work

Entrants' Scores

10 of the 12 entrants sent me their choices for the top three entries.

SheptonPhil came out on top with his score including 5 first places [5 points]
Randon Orbital Bob came second, with three first places in his overall score [4 points]
Woodmonkey and nev came joint third [3 points each]
Sammo and tpot came joint fifth [1 point each]

Overall Scoring

In joint first place were nev and SheptonPhil on 13 points, with nev winning the plaque by virtue of his higher Judges score. Well done to you both!! =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
In third place was sammo with 7 points
In fourth place was Random Orbital Bob with 6 points
In joint fifth place were Woodmonkey and Heatherw with 4 points each.

[It's taking me longer to work out the scoring than it does to turn an entry :oops: :oops: I think my brain must be slowing down :shock: :shock: !!]

Scores to Date

heatherw 18
nev 15
Dalboy 14
Sheptonphil 14
Random Orbital Bob 12
sammo 10
tpot 6
procell 5
Dennisk 4
woodmonkey 4
Soylent1 3
winemaker 2
jethro 1
Melinda_dd 1

woohoo! \:D/

I thought Phil had it this month so I'm well chuffed :D

Big Thanks to all involved. Thinking cap on for March :-k (at least this month I cant blame a lack of suitable sized timber )

edit: If you like you can cut the winners plaque down the middle and send Phil and I half each :)

Well done everyone nice work. Thanks to anyone who voted for me! :D who would've thought that such a simple tool could have so much variation.

Woodmonkey":3djexmf5 said:
Well done everyone nice work. Thanks to anyone who voted for me! :D who would've thought that such a simple tool could have so much variation.

I'm just trying to understand the grammar of your post. Is it yourself that you are describing as a "simple tool"? :lol: :lol: :lol:

I WANT A RECOUNT :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Seriously well done to all and congratulations Nev. =D> =D>

I knew that I had not done so well this time :( . You just know these things but it was still fun taking part

No then I should've said who would've thought such a sinkhole tool could make such a simple tool!

Well done everyone. Never realized such a simple thing could have so many interpretations.

Well done Nev and Shepton Phil. I was also amazed by the different styles that everyone thought of. Also liked Sammos contribution and DennisK's taser (!)

Good to get that one finished. Seemed a simple task but did turn out to be a tricky one to visualise before putting the tool to timber. Well done Nev and thanks for the votes of the other entrants, appreciated.

Phil

Well done all - I have to say I am chuffed to bits on getting 3rd place. The "less classic" design was due to 2 things, 1 - didn't really have a clue what a fisherman's priest was :) and started before I did any research and 2nd - the Oak turned really well, but there was a knot about 1/3rd of the way down, and being green I didn't want to risk it popping out, hence the thicker than normal 'business end'
When stood on end - it resembles a wine bottle, although now the Oak is drying out the handle is now slightly off centre and the knot is splitting. My plan is to re-turn it into something new...

Again well done all - let's see if we can keep the quality and quantity of entries up...

Sammo

Any chance of a peep of the entrants work please? Or even the winner.
I am so amazed at the stunning quality from work sheds, work shops and garages, I would like to be amazed some more, if possible. TIA RegardsRodders

Back