Faceplate attatching?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alie Barnes

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

I recently saw someone had screwed a piece of wood to thier face plate and then glued the wood they were working on to that.

What type of wood would you use to screw to face plate? and how do you detach your work when its finished, just a matter of using a parting tool???

Also whats the benefits of using this method?

thanks

for most work you would screw the face plate directly into the wood you were turning. In some cases it may be necessary to glue wood but not often in these case use a hot melt glue. I also use double sided tape occasionally where gluing is not an option,

Alie, you may wish to glue a sacrificial piece of wood to something that is rather thin to start with (for a plate for instance) or where you do not wish to mar the surface Like here

Any sound softwood will do, and can be removed later with a chisel and care, or faced off on the lathe.

I've used this approach several times, for different reasons!

1) It seemed a potentially easier tidy-up when compared to screwing directly into the base of the workpiece (a goblet type thing, I think) I was trying to produce
2) For a shallow plate (like what CHJ says) - so any screw-in was not an option
3) I'd started with a "screw faceplate to workpiece" approach, but the bowl kept getting thinner as I couldn't get the inside the way I wanted it!

I used a slight variation a couple of times when fixing, mainly cos I was too poor (read "mean") to own a hotglue gun thingy.
Make a sandwich! Dollop 1 of PVA on base, thickish piece of paper on Dollop 1, Dollop 2 of PVA on top of thickish paper, and workpiece on Dollop 2. The end-result is a thicker sandwich, easier to make a split, and it's the paper that you're trying to split.
Worked for me!

Back