Face masks

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lurker":15jtbf6x said:
Now we are on the edge of compulsory wearing of face masks in shops etc........

These only have some use by preventing the wearer contaminating others.
They do not protect the wearer indeed a case could be made for them being detrimental to the wearer.
I think most of us either through our hobby or work, know that proper fit and the right mask is essential.

I am getting rather annoyed when I see folks wearing masks with a valve as these are just venting unfiltered air and are totally innapropriate and damn selfish.

Surely the valve is to allow unfiltered air in. The air you breathe out goes through the mask.

Marineboy":s382i625 said:
lurker":s382i625 said:
Now we are on the edge of compulsory wearing of face masks in shops etc........

These only have some use by preventing the wearer contaminating others.
They do not protect the wearer indeed a case could be made for them being detrimental to the wearer.
I think most of us either through our hobby or work, know that proper fit and the right mask is essential.

I am getting rather annoyed when I see folks wearing masks with a valve as these are just venting unfiltered air and are totally innapropriate and damn selfish.

Surely the valve is to allow unfiltered air in. The air you breathe out goes through the mask.

Why would the mask allow unfiltered air in? They're to stop dust getting in not out. The air you breathe out goes straight through the bit of rubber in the center of the mask

Marineboy":satxqnbo said:
Oh yes the penny has dropped. Those valves masks are ok in a workshop but not for the purposes of CV.

Eh? I don't think so. My mask works exactly the opposite way round to what I think you're suggesting. In fact, surely all masks must do if they are to be effective? The valve is one-way to allow air out. Dusty air is filtered by the mask before you breath it in.

RogerS":3887hu16 said:
Marineboy":3887hu16 said:
Oh yes the penny has dropped. Those valves masks are ok in a workshop but not for the purposes of CV.

Eh? I don't think so. My mask works exactly the opposite way round to what I think you're suggesting. In fact, surely all masks must do if they are to be effective? The valve is one-way to allow air out. Dusty air is filtered by the mask before you breath it in.

Yes I’ve already said my original post was a mistake on my part.

Mandatory now from the 24th July, presumably we are safe until then as we have been up until now? :|

Go out shopping and if you don’t wear a mask we’ll fine you £100. Then go into a restaurant, take off your mask and we’ll give you a tenner.

Marineboy":e4t1gahw said:

Yes, I read this but it was your last sentence that threw me. Many of the 'proper' masks for use against inhaling Covid have one-way valves. Just like my workshop mask.

RogerS":1724ekwj said:
Marineboy":1724ekwj said:

Yes, I read this but it was your last sentence that threw me. Many of the 'proper' masks for use against inhaling Covid have one-way valves. Just like my workshop mask.

Where are these masks you speak of used, Roger?

lurker":rz7bgw2j said:
RogerS":rz7bgw2j said:
Marineboy":rz7bgw2j said:

Where are these masks you speak of used, Roger?

I have no photographs to show you but they are available. You can get FFP3 masks with or without a valve. Not to be confused with respirators.

RogerS":1lc4o6ro said:
Phil Pascoe":1lc4o6ro said:
They could at least have insisted the people flying in from Wuhan and Iran wore them. :D

Wrong nations, Phil. Most of the incoming infections came from people returning from skiing and travelling in Italy, France

Yes, my son's school not only went ahead with the half term ski trip to Northern Italy, but later took the Latin and Classics classes to Rome, even though sites like the Colloseum and Pompeii were already closed. But the UK government had not yet advised against travel to Italy, so the insurers wouldn't have paid if they had cancelled. If the government had acted sooner, those trips could have been cancelled and it would have been a lot cheaper in the long run !

Fortunately my son wasn't on either trip - it must have been a very anxious time for parents.

Rorschach":3b5blat4 said:
Mandatory now from the 24th July, presumably we are safe until then as we have been up until now? :|

You know that the likely answer to that is:

1). Government scientific advisors at best were split opinion on effectiveness and worst said they didn't help.

2). To protect supplies already in dire straits of PPE equipment needed fro the NHS and other front line services.

Just think back to toilet rolls and many other commodities almost impossible to get and expect a run on masks.
I had for example a box of 50 disposable masks in my Amazon basket as had been unsure due to poor reviews and bought elsewhere, checked this morning and the price had more than doubled overnight, checked others I'd been looking at and many have also increased significantly.

the same government were advising people you don't need masks a few months ago and insisting on it, wtf is wrong with them? there's no consistency at all, they've already killed enough people through lack of real leadership, at least we've got a few days to enjoy not having to wear masks now, make the most of it.

"Those who fail to comply with the new rules will face a fine of up to £100. This will be reduced to £50 if people pay within 14 days."

Why do they put these pathetic fines in place? Like many other fines (e.g disabled parking bays), it's low enough that people will just risk it.

Latest posts

Back