Extruded or Cellular PVC

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phillamb168

Established Member
Reaction score
I have seen this stuff a lot on the various American DIY shows lately, and was wondering if it's made it over here yet? Basically cellular PVC is a solid weatherproof material that can be treated like regular wood - milled, mitered, routered, etc.

Ahhh someone has been watching this old house like me :)
It does look interesting stuff

Yes its available, at least something similar - we sell something called foamlux - a very heavy thick sheet (20mm ish) of plastic that's a semi solid foam core, if that makes sense - its not solid uPVC nor is it as lightweight as a uPVC fascia board. Its pretty heavy stuff - 2 man to lift a sheet which I think was about 8ft x 6ft

comes in sheet form to us but probably available as strips too.

EDIT: I've also asked a couple of our suppliers if they are aware of the OP's product (just in case it's different) and availability.

The stuff often seen on this old house does seem to be solid all the way through, seem to remember some fluted trim being made from some on another show. Always seems to machine up nice.

carlb40":jkup1dn3 said:
I'm not sure it has a foam core, it looks more like solid plastic to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAsC81q ... Ga3oDxF5rJ

From about 3 minutes in.

I use that stuff occasionally. It's basically a high density vinyl foam co-extruded with a uPVC outer skin. Just like the 3/4" thick full replacement fascia boards. Veka up in Burnley extrude the stuff.

MMUK":2tlk3eck said:
carlb40":2tlk3eck said:
I'm not sure it has a foam core, it looks more like solid plastic to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAsC81q ... Ga3oDxF5rJ

From about 3 minutes in.

I use that stuff occasionally. It's basically a high density vinyl foam co-extruded with a uPVC outer skin. Just like the 3/4" thick full replacement fascia boards. Veka up in Burnley extrude the stuff.

Yes the "foam" description is a bit of a misnomer as I tried to explain it's very dense; so dense the "bubbles" part of the foam is unseen with the naked eye, and denser still than the extruded full replacement fascia boards mentioned above - I work with those everyday and can mark those quite easily with my fingernail on the edge, whereas the sheets I mentioned were MUCH much denser than the replacement boards Veka (and others) produce (which we buy for customers) for all intents and purposes it looks like solid plastic, rather than the co-extruded boards with two obviously different skins.

It's quite hard to explain without actually seeing the two side by side, the 20mm white sheets look as though if laminated together would produce a very solid strong product that could be worked with normal joinery methods as Norm and Tom Silva do on This Old House.

Back