Extractor question

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a Triton thicknesser, and currently use my Titan shop vac (with a 50mm hose) connected for chip extraction. Obviously, it doesn't work well. Catches maybe 60%? So I was wondering if there would be a noticable difference in getting something like a DX1000?

Is the extraction of a HVLP reduced from 100mm to 50mm going to be any better than a LVHP shop vac with a 50mm port?

Note, the port on the thicknesser is only around 50mm.

I think you should get a reasonable result if the 50mm section is kept very short. I'm not familiar with the machine you mention but it may be possible to open up the outlet from the machine to 100 mm that would have a marked effect.

I have the jet thicknesser, with the supplied 50 mm port it was impossible to clear the chips away.
I opened it up to 62 mm and connected it to a 62 mm extraction system, powered by a sip 50 litre drum extractor. That worked very well.
Important note though, the wider 62 mm port could allow a small hand to be pushed inside to reach the blade, so dont do this if you are in a commercial environment, or, install an elbow.

In an attempt to "upgrade" I went to a 100 mm axminster extractor, through my existing 62 mm hose. That did NOT cope with the thicknesser. Everything else worked pretty well on 62, but not the thicknesser.
I have just completed enlarging all the ductwork to 100 mm, but have now got stuck as the ducting fabrication company that is making my new 100 mm cyclone has had to close for the duration.

But it looks like I wont be able to buy wood for much longer so its a moot point.

Back