Extractor for allergy sufferer

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wood Cutter

Reaction score
I love making things. Mostly fitted stuff which means some time in my workshop and some in my house. I have a particular problem in that I am intolerant of wood - working it gives me severe migraines. Gypsum and some glues can be even worse by-the-way; and I have a lot of plasterboard in my house. Hence I always wear a mask which is a must for me.

I asked about saws in another post and all of my power tools are hand-held apart from two; a radial arm saw and a pillar drill and this is likely to remain the situation. Having used my neighbours thicknesser recently I now suddenly know what chippings really are and that none of my tools creates a great deal of them. So after some time wondering about chippings versus dust I now believe that with my intolerance and my equipment I essentially have a dust problem not a chip problem.

Given the nature of what I do - being as much "on-site" (i.e. in my house) as workshop (i.e. in my garage) I am now thinking that a portable dust extractor would suit me best. I saw, I sand, I drill, I biscuit-joint (is that a verb?) and I route with power tools. Then I chisel, I file and I saw with hand tools. There are probably some other actions too that I have forgotten.

After asking about saws; I am likely to buy the Festool Plunge saw. My RAS is a DeWalt. My sander is the surprisingly wonderful Skil Masters 7660, routers by Elu and soon-to-be Makita and with other equipment made by various companies and I won't replace them all or indeed any of them. So the extractor will have to work with all of this. Hence I have a few questions for all you experienced users out there...

• Which current portable extractors which would you recommend from experience for this dual in-workshop/on-site life and which would be unsuitable?
  • With all of the kit having slightly different hose connections (different diameters etc) what do people do for fast but reliable connection/disconnection to the outlets of different devices?
  • Am I right to worry about the cost and future availability of consumables - like filters and, in particular, bags?
  • Some tools would perhaps benefit from having two connections to the extractor - the formal designed-in connection plus either another inlet (I am thinking of the sander when used inverted in particular). Is having two inlets something anyone does with a portable style extractor? Does it work? Are there splitters to make the dual connections?
  • For hand tools, like files or chisels, can these portable extractors work with a hood?
  • Where a company makes different sizes of extractor is it worth me selecting a slightly larger model?
  • How good are these things at dealing with dust from plasterboard (I will always wear the mask anyway)? Do their filters clog up?

My son has alergies so we purchased a medi-vac https://www.allergybestbuys.co.uk/products/medivac-microfilter-with-tools which proved a very sound investment as it helped him immensely.

Fas forward 15 years and he has moved into his own home and by and large has the allergies under control (he is still severely allergic to peanuts). We now use the medi-vac with our portable tools. It is superb for sanding, the suction is off the scale compared to normal shop vacs and the quality of filtration is second to none.

I know it is a very expensive option but if you can use it around the house as well maybe you could justify the cost.

Regards

James

Thanks Jamesc. A completely new alternative for me. It sounds like the Medivac really worked for your son. Interesting that it is so strong and effective when sanding.

In my case I don't need more than standard filtering thankfully. Is this any stronger suction-wise than portable extractors like the Makita or Festool do you think?

Have you tried one of these MikeJhn? How comfortable is it? I have a variety of masks and thankfully all have worked well so far.

In addition to the hood you could use one of these: http://www.axminster.co.uk/numatic-nvd7 ... r-ax782721 available with a mobile base, the small inlet will take Heapa filter bags so fine sanding dust can be collected the large inlet for wood chips, Vacuum machines are not as effective when trying to pick up large piece's of wood chips, but very effective on fine dust.

Mike

Wood Cutter":r5hh5o6h said:
Have you tried one of these MikeJhn? How comfortable is it? I have a variety of masks and thankfully all have worked well so far.

I use mine the whole time, especially when machining MDF and when emptying the vacuum and chip collector, its very comfortable for me, but then as a Structural Engineer in my working life, I wore a site helmet a lot, some people may not find it as comfortable, but personally I like it.

Mike

Wood Cutter":1uqpu6io said:
Thanks Jamesc. A completely new alternative for me. It sounds like the Medivac really worked for your son. Interesting that it is so strong and effective when sanding.

In my case I don't need more than standard filtering thankfully. Is this any stronger suction-wise than portable extractors like the Makita or Festool do you think?

I have never used the other extractors but with mine if I take the sanding disk off the suction will support the sander (SXE 450) on a vertical wall. I am not sure I could justify the expense for workshop use alone but it was an absolute god send for my son and 25 years later is still going strong and serving me well in the workshop and around the house

James

Back