Extractor and boiler

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

orangetlh

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
I would like to make a bit more space in my workshop by building a small lean too outside and putting my extractor out there, then bring the hose through the wall. Im hoping it will give more space and cut down on the amount of dust in the shop. My only concern is we have our oil fired boiler in the workshop and im worried that it will effect the working of it if i extract air outside. Im aware of there being problems with putting a extractor above a gas and oil fired range cooker but would there still be a problem with the boiler? There are ways of getting around it by either leaving the door open or venting the air back into the shop, but i like to have the doors closed to keep noise down for neighbours and i dont want to be cutting too many holes in the wall. Any advice?

You will need to replace the air the extractor removes so you will have to cut holes . just do it in a way that does not allow noise towards the neighbors

Really, really bad idea unless the boiler is room sealed (i.e has a concentric flue and 'breathes' in from outside).

surely if your boiler is properly installed by a "corgi " type person, the
combustion air must be coming in from the outside, otherwise an oil
burner with wood dust would scare the bejaysus out of me anyway.

i would have thought it ought to be a sealed outside flue item.

paul :wink:

surely if your boiler is properly installed by a "corgi " type person, the
combustion air must be coming in from the outside

Unfortunally not always the case Paul, our boiler flues up the chimney and draws it's combustion air from the room. If we started sucking air out of the room, we would certainly start breathing a lot of combustion fumes - well for a while anyway!

I guess the best thing to do is arrange a visit from a reputable Corgi gas fitter and get his advise.

Dennis

Back