Quantcast
  • We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

Extraction Novice seeking Advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

Mickymoocher

Reaction score
Hi I have a small workshop that during Lockdown and when I'm not on site , I'm trying to improve and its come around to extraction of dust and chips .

I've bought a shyphon and a 50 litre bin to mount it on but every hose and inlet seems to have a varied diameter from 40 mm to 100 mm.

Obviously I can buy reducers to connect everything up but what is the minimum diameter of network pipe I should use around the workshop which is 7 metres in diameter as it's an old Silo ?

Sachakins

Is near enough good enough?
Reaction score
You say syphon (cyclone?) And collection bin, but what type of extraction unit are you attaching to it.
Your ducting will depend mainly on the extractors/cyclone fittings.
Shop fixed ducting is normally 4" or more, if your motor can handle it.
I use some 63mm pipe (weird size, but it was free scrap!) But I use a 2" shop vac and cyclone in small 5m shop, anything smaller would be prone to blockage, also I don't have the height for 4 to 6" ducting.

Inspector

Nyuck, Nyuck, Nyuck!
Reaction score
It kind of depends on your goals. Just want to capture the sawdust and chips you see fly off the machine while wearing a mask? Then you might get away with 100mm. Want to capture the stuff you see and the sub-micron stuff you can't (fine dust) that is most harmful while not wearing a mask? Then 150mm is the minimum along with opening up the machine ports to 150mm too. 150mm duct flows 3 times as much air as a 100mm duct. Here is a link to a US site (you'll have to do the conversions if you need numbers you can relate to) for some light reading. Dust Collection Research - Home I jest, it is very involved.

Pete

Mickymoocher

Reaction score
You say syphon (cyclone?) And collection bin, but what type of extraction unit are you attaching to it.
Your ducting will depend mainly on the extractors/cyclone fittings.
Shop fixed ducting is normally 4" or more, if your motor can handle it.
I use some 63mm pipe (weird size, but it was free scrap!) But I use a 2" shop vac and cyclone in small 5m shop, anything smaller would be prone to blockage, also I don't have the height for 4 to 6" ducting.
So I'm planning on using an industrial vacuum connected to the top of the cyclone mounted on a sealed bin and then this will be connected to my machines and operated via a valve or tap system to isolate each machine when not being used

robgul

Barry Bucknell is my hero
Reaction score
. . .slightly OT - the silo as a workshop sounds pretty cool - be fascinated to see some pix! [Grand Designs recently had a silo that was demountable and turned into a bar for outdoor events]

Mickymoocher

Reaction score
. . .slightly OT - the silo as a workshop sounds pretty cool - be fascinated to see some pix! [Grand Designs recently had a silo that was demountable and turned into a bar for outdoor events]
Couple of photos to be going on with , I'll take more soon

Attachments

Latest posts