Extraction for Dewalt DW 733 planer - is my festool ok?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The small quiet one MikeJhn and I linked to is fine for one machine but Charnwood quote 5 micron. I now have the W691 which they say is 10 micron but there's an additional filter to bring it down to 1 micron. Very noisy and, with PT running, ear defenders necessary.

PTs don't create as much fine dust as a table saw, larger chips are the norm but obviously with some dust as well. Up to you to decide, the small one is only good for one machine whereas the larger ones can be ducted. How much filtration do you feel comfortable with? I run a Record AC400, which collects a surprising amount of fine dust so should really add the fine filter to the 691. Talk to Poolwood, they merchant various models/makes - https://www.poolewood.co.uk/product-cat ... xtractors/

scubadoo":l8mx1whn said:
Thanks for all the replies.

But I'm still no clearer on what to get. I want something that can handle the chips of a thicknesser but something that won't be pumping harmful dust back into the workshop.

Do i really need to be thinking a bout something much bigger and more expensive like this??

Well scubadoo you have had lots of replies and lots of advice, it comes down to in the end, to extract from a planer you need a HVLP and not a vacuum cleaner type machine, now just make up your mind what one. =D>

Good luck.
Mike

I have the Axminster Hobby dust extraction and upgraded the top to the big mesh steel drum.
That said I bought a Rutlands High Filtration Dust Collector - 50 Litre,
As it was convenient to hook it up to my Axminster AT107 3hp planer/thicknesser
I find it does a really good job sucking up all the chips.

I do have the Dewalt 733 lunchbox thicknesser, which I find really good, superb finish, joy to use.
I could use the AT 107 but have to remove the fence to get into thicknessing mode. The fence is quite bulky and heavy and hangs on brackets on the side of the machine. I thought, however careful I was at removing it, was only a question of time, before it got dropped on the concrete floor or my steel toe cap and got a big dent in it.
No more surface planer, until Axminsters next shipping container arrives in 6 months time from China with a replacement fence, so I use the 733.
Rutlands- " For use with routers, circular saws, sanding machines, planers and woodturning lathes
Filter dust and shaving particles to 0.5 microns
2 metres of 100mm diameter heavy duty flexible dust hose
Powerful 1100 watt motor creates 53 litres per second of air flow
90 quid + delivery"

https://www.rutlands.co.uk/sp+power-too ... gIFGfD_BwE

The Rutlands isn't that heavy to lift but could make a round dolly to make it easier to move about.

pollys13":30pyhj65 said:
Powerful 1100 watt motor creates 53 litres per second of air flow

Sounds like an Oxymoron to me.

That's 190m3/hr useless for a planer IMO.

Mike

I use one of the Record DX 1000 drum extractors. Clears my thicknesses easily. Only drawback is at 45 litre capacity, fills quite quickly. Better than having to sweep up all the time.

I have the same issue. What solution did you find? I am wondering if the CTL26 with the larger 36mm hose will do the job along with a cyclone unit. Fine dust into the bag, large chips into the bin. Has anyone tried this?

I ave personal experience of both the DeWalt and both types of extractor. Firstly, the planer tends to generate chips, relatively large ones, so fine dust is not as great a problem as it would be, with say, a router.
Then there is the extraction spout on the 733...it’s either 100mm or 4”...can’t remember which, but, a small hose going onto this, through an adaptor, will cause a ‘bottle neck’ for gas flow and therefore, possible blockages.
The wee ‘dustbin’ Sheppach Stuartpaul showed will cope perfectly adequately, mine did. It has a nice big aperture, the filters inside do the job on chips, replacements are about £15 for the filter (rarely replaced) and less for a pack of 5 ‘overbags’ to shield the filter. You replace them infrequently too, unless you go native and attach a router or sander DAMHIKT....
I also have twin bag, conventional APTC extractor. Quieter by far, just as good for chippings from saw and my present Electra Beckum 260C, but lousy for fine dust. as said dust can, and does, exit through the weave of the cloth bag until it clogs. For my two routers (Elu 96 originals) and the big DeWalt 625e, a Dust Deputy clone from eBay running into my Record clone of your Sheppach works fine (!!) and dandy. The micron stuff gets nailed by the cyclone, big particles by the Record’s bin. I don’t do it too often, cause despite what Alan Holtham says on Record’s promotional video, the increase in noise from the Record indicates the motor doesn’t like the constriction. Must get a dedicated vacuum cleaner type ( HPLV) for routing.

HTH, Sam

Latest posts

Back