Extraction for Dewalt DW 733 planer - is my festool ok?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scubadoo

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm thinking of picking up a dewalt DW 733 for numerous jobs including guitar making and planing glued up chopping boards. It looks like a useful machine.

In terms of extraction, I have a festool Midi permanently connected to my Kapex in my small workshop, and i also have a Festool CTL 26 that i use for my tracksaw, domino, sanders etc.

Will the CTL26 be ok with the planer - does it have enough suction? There's virtually no dust with my Kapex but obviouly the planer trows out bigger bits and lots of them!

Any advice appreciated.

Cheers
Dave

Sorry to tell you a vacuum cleaner will not clear the chips from a Planer, but you knew that already or you would not have asked the question, :lol: get a chip extractor, the more powerful the better.

Mike

scubadoo":2gc0dl8v said:
Hello,

I'm thinking of picking up a dewalt DW 733 for numerous jobs including guitar making and planing glued up chopping boards. It looks like a useful machine.

Hope the chopping boards aren't end grain as a fair chance of it spitting them out in bits.

MikeJhn":2wq59493 said:
Sorry to tell you a vacuum cleaner will not clear the chips from a Planer, but you knew that already or you would not have asked the question, :lol: get a chip extractor, the more powerful the better.

Mike

Ah, you got me! :D

Am i right in thinking that i want a HVLP extractor?
Any idea what the minimum spec i would need is in terms of flow rate?

I've looked at Axminster Trade ones but they're looking at £350+ and i don't have much floor space left.

Thanks for the reply.

GrahamF":2reg4zbj said:
scubadoo":2reg4zbj said:
Hello,

Hope the chopping boards aren't end grain as a fair chance of it spitting them out in bits.

No plans for end grain planing at the moment. I was aware of the dangers but have seen a video of a guy doing it safely with the Makita 2012nb.

Cheers
Dave

If space is tight and you don't do masses of thicknessing in one go and/or you don't mind more frequent emptying then one of these will do the job:

https://www.dm-tools.co.uk/product.php/ ... Aewumj7Q2w

It's what I use from my thicknesser (different colour/badge) and it does a decent job. I've got both on a trolley (extractor underneath) to minimise footprint and aid mobility.

stuartpaul":34gtemqr said:
If space is tight and you don't do masses of thicknessing in one go and/or you don't mind more frequent emptying then one of these will do the job:

https://www.dm-tools.co.uk/product.php/ ... Aewumj7Q2w

It's what I use from my thicknesser (different colour/badge) and it does a decent job. I've got both on a trolley (extractor underneath) to minimise footprint and aid mobility.
+1 for that suggestion. I've got a similar (even cheaper) unit I picked up from Rutlands. Obviously they're going to spray lots of fine (invisible) dust out of the filter - so it's not something you should use without respiratory protection (or at least do it outside) but they will generally do a decent job of pulling shavings from a planer/thicknesser - so there's a lot less sweeping up once done.

scubadoo":eeexyldu said:
MikeJhn":eeexyldu said:

Mike

I've looked at Axminster Trade ones but they're looking at £350+ and i don't have much floor space left.

Thanks for the reply.

Yes you need a HVLP extractor the ones suggested are vacuum cleaner's, my 2400watt Numatic was insufficient at 300m3/hr I now use a 2000m3/hr extractor and it clears everything with the pleated paper filter I have fitted I don't get any dust in the workshop, but you are talking £350.00 plus to get decent extraction from a Planer.

Mike

MikeJhn":3q67r1os said:
scubadoo":3q67r1os said:
MikeJhn":3q67r1os said:

Mike

Thanks for the reply.

Yes you need a HVLP extractor the ones suggested are vacuum cleaner's, my 2400watt Numatic was insufficient at 300m3/hr I now use a 2000m3/hr extractor and it clears everything with the pleated paper filter I have fitted I don't get any dust in the workshop, but you are talking £350.00 plus to get decent extraction from a Planer.

Mike
No Mike they’re not just vacuum cleaners, far from it. They also filter down to 0.3 micron which is reasonably respectable.

Stuart you need to read and understand this: a-guide-to-dust-extraction-by-member-siggy-7-t102025.html the difference between HVLP and LVHP is quite marked and needs to be understood in the concept between dust and chipping's, you linked to what even scheppach call a dust extractor, not suitable for large chips of wood as produced by a planer, it may well take some away, but in the scheme of things not the right tool for the job.

Mike

MikeJhn":2z46imoh said:
Stuart you need to read and understand this: a-guide-to-dust-extraction-by-member-siggy-7-t102025.html the difference between HVLP and LVHP is quite marked and needs to be understood in the concept between dust and chipping's, you linked to what even scheppach call a dust extractor, not suitable for large chips of wood as produced by a planer, it may well take some away, but in the scheme of things not the right tool for the job.

Mike

Hardly surprising there's confusion when some sites call what we would describe as chip extractors, dust extractors. Poolewood is typical - https://www.poolewood.co.uk/product-cat ... xtractors/

I'm perfectly aware of the difference between the two. I've highlighted to the OP a cost and space effective solution that works given his outlined intended usage.

This would have been a better recommendation if space is tight, but that is an assumption: https://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-c ... tor-105111 My Numatic is twice the power of the Sheppach and does not do a good enough job on a thicknesser, brilliant on hand tools, but even with a 100mm cyclone inlet it still leaves a lot to be desired if used to take large bits of detritus from the planer or thicknesser

Mike

I had a Charnwood W685 which is the same as the one in Mike's link. Worked OK with a single machine (PT or saw) and short hose, pretty quiet.

Thanks for all the replies.

But I'm still no clearer on what to get. I want something that can handle the chips of a thicknesser but something that won't be pumping harmful dust back into the workshop.

Do i really need to be thinking a bout something much bigger and more expensive like this??

Couple of options, get something that you can duct the vent to the outside, taking into account where you are ducting it to, you need a HVLP unit with at least 1000m3/hr extraction rate, but its far better to overwhelm the requirement rather than just meeting it, pleated paper filters are available to replace the bag filters, which are much more efficient as the pleats give a far greater surface area to filter with and are a finer filter to boot.

This is available on the Axminster site, but I don't know anything about it: https://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-t ... tor-508483

This is what I have, with a pleated paper filter: https://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-h ... tor-501264 additional £144.00 for the filter, no dust escapes the filter into the atmosphere, when you shine a torch into the air it's clear.

Good luck with your decision, but remember by once, so get the best you can afford. (hammer) #-o

Mike

scubadoo":1c1vygxf said:
Thanks for all the replies.

But I'm still no clearer on what to get. I want something that can handle the chips of a thicknesser but something that won't be pumping harmful dust back into the workshop.

Do i really need to be thinking a bout something much bigger and more expensive like this??
If you want both big volume chip handling and good levels of dust filtering - yes; it's not going to come particularly cheap.

Essentially you'll need a substantial HVLP extractor (3hp+), likely with a cyclonic separator to dump the larger dust and debris into a bin, with only the finest dust then passing through a good quality HEPA filter stack.

Alternatively, you could buy a cheaper (maybe 1.5-2hp) HVLP extractor, and instead of running it into the stock bag + filter arrangement, duct the exhaust outside into a hopper - no filter or separator required (but obviously noisy and dusty outside).

Unless going DIY, you may find it cheaper to get one of the low cost drum type extractors mentioned in the earlier posts, a Trend Airshield Pro (or JSP equivalent) for personal protection, and a cheap air filter for the workshop to clean the air up afterwards.

If you fancy the DIY route, then the motor + impellor unit from the Fox F50-843 would be a good extractor. Add a cyclone to a Bill Pentz design (or a Thien baffle), and a suitable filter stack from DJN Air Filters. I'd expect you wouldn't get much change out of £500 for the whole thing; but it'd likely match something much more expensive commercially.

I have a 733 and a Camvac single motor unit clears the chips quite well, and also has good 2-stage filtration. I use a 100 mm hose to the extractor, though it throttles to 63 mm at the port, and nothing else is served by the extractor.

My shop vacuum (a Henry clone) is great around the workshop and with Abranet sanding, but does not suffice for the 733.

MusicMan":aj9wqtm0 said:
I have a 733 and a Camvac single motor unit clears the chips quite well, and also has good 2-stage filtration. I use a 100 mm hose to the extractor, though it throttles to 63 mm at the port, and nothing else is served by the extractor.

My shop vacuum (a Henry clone) is great around the workshop and with Abranet sanding, but does not suffice for the 733.
Found the same here. The cheap drum extractor (HVLP) I'm using has a 100mm hose; throttled to 63mm at the thicknesser (which has sometimes been a problem), but generally OK.

Vacuums (LVHP) are great for smaller tools (or even directly attaching to the dust port on the guard of a table saw) as they pull a high vacuum and are good for fine dust.

Latest posts

Back