Exterior door weather bar.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeJhn

Grunkel
Reaction score
The door above my weather bar has started to lift the decorative Mahogany veneer just above the bar, I feel my only choice is too extend the weather bar upwards with a pice of Mahogany, any suggestions of an alternative solution?
DSC02410.jpeg

You lot are cruel.... 🙄

Im sure the chipboard core is fine 😆🤣

On a serious note, if you get it replaced, itd be interesting to see what the insides of the door are like

I've seen interior doors ( not in any houses I've ever owned, solid wood doors only chez nous ) where the core is some kind of honeycomb cardboard.
We need two external doors replacing ( around 100 years old pine , now warped to ...gery , and no longer reparable )..Joinery companies want at least €2000.oo each ( opening windows in both doors and they are oversize ).I'm going to be making them.SWMBO rightly didn't think paying over €4K for doors was a good idea.Instantly saw the purchase of a plunge saw and a sliding mitre saw as being a very good investment, especially as they can be used to do other things .She wants a Swiss Chalet type house interior with lots of carving.Including the kitchen even though it is me who cooks.
I'm OK with that.
A door company sent us a catalogue recently, very expensive ..apparently all mystery cores with facings in hardwoods, standard size openings only ..total carp.

As said they are all rubbish. They often make a big point of talking about things like "engineered core for added strength and stability" and "A-grade Oak veneer" but it all means nothing when the veneer starts lifting after a couple of years.

Some friends wanted an Oak veneered stable door fitting, I could tell they were a bit upset when I wouldn't do it and advised against it, they got somebody else to do the job. About 2 years later they came to ask why the veneer was lifting on the door :dunno:

That door has been on the front porch since 1998 so don't think its done too bad, Oh and it takes two people to lift it, so I also think it's solid.

I'd probably just wait for it to dry and glue it back on. Might need a bit of trimming as it has expanded the veneers obviously. Whack a coat of stain/varnish on and hope it lasts a few more years.

I bought a bi-fold door recently and pretty much all the wooden ones are veneered (although solid wood core). They have 10yr warranties but if you read the small print there is a £250 call out fee to inspect any warranty claim, where no doubt they will say it is due to improper maintainance and you'll be another £250 down. Thankfully mine will be mostly covered in the near future when i do an extension porch thing.

I'm thinking of taking the door off and injecting epoxy behind each lifted piece and clamping either side of the door (long boards) with a suitable slip membrane over the glued area, if it last another twenty five years I will be 100 that will do me.

I'm thinking of taking the door off and injecting epoxy behind each lifted piece and clamping either side of the door (long boards) with a suitable slip membrane over the glued area, if it last another twenty five years I will be 100 that will do me.
Use parcel tape over the boards used to clamp, epoxy shouldnt stick to that 👍

As said they are all rubbish. They often make a big point of talking about things like "engineered core for added strength and stability" and "A-grade Oak veneer" but it all means nothing when the veneer starts lifting after a couple of years.

Some friends wanted an Oak veneered stable door fitting, I could tell they were a bit upset when I wouldn't do it and advised against it, they got somebody else to do the job. About 2 years later they came to ask why the veneer was lifting on the door :dunno:
People are often more plank like than doors.

Use parcel tape over the boards used to clamp, epoxy shouldnt stick to that 👍
Thanks for the suggestion. I used to vacuum bag the wings of my model jets with epoxy, the bags where polythene, seemed nothing would stick to it.

Thanks for the suggestion. I used to vacuum bag the wings of my model jets with epoxy, the bags where polythene, seemed nothing would stick to it.
Just to add to my above post, don't use a printed polythene bag the print comes off and can contaminate the epoxy, I have a Sainsbury's wing to prove it. 🥴

Back