Experience of buying PAR tulipwood

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

munkypuzel

Established Member
Reaction score
I am interested in finding out how others buy timber for kitchen doors. I have built my kitchen with Birch Ply carcass/27mm tulip wood face frames and now need to make some shaker doors.

I am unsure whether to:

a. Buy rough sawn timber (say 32mm) and machine down myself. - more work.
b. Buy 25mm thick PAR and just get on and make the doors. - less work, double cost.

Does anybody on here buy PAR and successfully make shaker doors without having to mill the timber again slightly?

Many thanks

I have almost never bought a piece of PAR and found it free of mill marks, other "imperfections" due to processing/handling/drying in storage, cupping/winding etc. that didn't require some kind of fettling/adjusting before use for this kind of project. Cheers, W2S

The problem is that the best practice for planing is to cut to length first then face and edge then thickness.

If you bought sawn boards you would naturally select out your longest components first from the flattest, straightest grained stock, then use the less than good stock for shorter parts like rails.

If you buy in PAR stock, the timber will be put straight through a 4 sided planer moulder without pre flattening and without cross cutting to your cutting list first.

Unfortunately buying in wont give you an easy less work, double cost comparison, it could be more work, triple cost!

Of course it all depends on what machines you have!

If you want to buy in, your best bet is to go and find a friendly joinery works that does some cabinet work and will understand your requirements, but you will need an easy to read cutting list or you might not get much interest :D (we dont like inches, cm's, cubits.....).

Latest posts

Back