Evolution Rage 5S Table Saw Wobbly Fence

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

supertom44

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hello,

I've got an Evolution Rage 5S table saw and I'm struggling with the fence. It has a good couple of degrees of movement making it hard to get straight cuts.

I've tried tightening the two adjustment bolts on top of the fence and this didn't help. I've also tried tightening the bolt at the back of the fence but this didn't help either.

When the fence is locked in place it has no movement, however it can be locked in place with varying degrees from true.

I've attached a video to demonstrate what I mean. It feels like the issue is at attachement nearest to the user, but not really sure how to fix this.

Anyone got any ideas?

Cheers.

Is there a lock mechanism on both ends? Just wondering if you could lock that front mech first which looks to have some sort of auto squaring mech on it, and then lock the back fence ?

I wonder if that black plastic part is not close enough to the metal table top and hence is not trueing up against it when you tighten the lock. Maybe you could loosen the bolts to adjust that part to ensure that when you tighten the mech the black plastic bit pulls up tight against the metal table top and makes it consistently square.

Also, it might be quite dangerous if you are getting a tapered cut as you might trap the wood and get a kick back? I don't really know anything about table saws so could be talking rubbish there though. But you might not want to use it until you have sorted the fence if that taper is thought to be a problem by others on here.

Have a look at Casual DIY on YouTube - he has a number of videos about this saw with mods that he made to improve it (not sure if there's anything about the fence, but some usefull stuff)

Is this a new saw or second hand , have you had it a while or recently acquired it . My point is have you had it securely fixed previously and the problem has just arisen or have you had the issue from day 1 . I think I’d be stripping out the fence and associated parts and check for wear on these parts and any fixing points they connect with. I agree with molynoox and would not use it until the issue is corrected. A little more history of this saw might help members to advise you better-as per the start of my post .

Thanks all for the replies.

@Molynoox I'll take a look and see if I can adjust it so the black part is closer to the table top. Agreed it can be dangerous, thankfully most of my cuts at the moment are either using a cross cut sled or a jointing sled.

@robgul I've checked out his video's, he has one about tuning up the saw, but it only addresses if your fence is out of line, but stable.

@Bingy man Apolgies I should have inlcuded more detail. I bought the saw new about 4 months ago, the fence has always had this issue unfortunately.

If it's only four months old I would make a warranty claim with Evolution and see if you get any joy there before attempting a fix myself

Sean

Not the same problem with mine but found the Orange clamping lever at the front was set far too tight when locking it if yours was the same it may of strained something I just backed off the nylock nut at the rear till it grips but not needing masses of force to push down , But in your vid it looks very loose sertainly not like mine

Given the fact it’s 4 months old -other than as others have suggested checking your set up of the fence is correct I’d certainly be going down the warranty line . Any adaption to the fence at this point would invalidate your warranty. Hopefully you purchased it from a reputable supplier so it should be straightforward to put a claim in . Good luck 🤞

I would support the view of contacting their support team. I recently had an issue with a fence on one of their chopsaws. I had had it around 9 months and the fence deformed and so would not move without excessive force. Initially they suggested it had been misused but I pointed out this should be able to take some punishment and I had not misused it, they did then send the new part (wrong bit 1st time but quickly rectified). They were easy to deal with. I had used their support before when a bag shipped with a new track saw arrived torn, they immediately shipped a replacement. Make sure they know this was like this from new.

@Thingybob mine had the same problem with the lever being really tight, did the same as you to resolve it. I may have over tightented the top bolts in an attempt to see if it fixes the issue, will slacken them off.

I'll try contacting their support team and see what they say, I put off doing this because last time I contacted them unfortunately it wasn't a great experience, may have just gotten unlucky though.

Thanks for the help all, will let you know how I get on.

I have the Screwfix 'sister' saw to this - the R255 PTS - when the fence is not locked, it also can swivel slightly like that. Before clamping the lever down to lock it, I ensure I'm pushing 'back' so that it squares before locking. It certainly has a degree or two of drift as you're sliding it side to side, but pushing back on the fence puts it back square, and locking it results in a solid, square fence... Given the way the fence attaches, I don't know that you'll ever totally avoid that - it locks by pulling at the back, which pulls the front of the fence with the black 'square' bit in tight against the rail that the fence runs on, but when loosened it just lifts on/off that rail - it doesn't 'run' in the rail as such if that makes sense?

Sorry Tom I thought you meant the fence moved that much when locked , When I put my fence on to saw it slides along front channel smoothly and is held with the two white nylon pads it can move slightly at the rear but when you clamp the fence up it should be straight from front to back . I certainly would not use the saw without clamping the fence

Hello,

I've got an Evolution Rage 5S table saw and I'm struggling with the fence. It has a good couple of degrees of movement making it hard to get straight cuts.

I've tried tightening the two adjustment bolts on top of the fence and this didn't help. I've also tried tightening the bolt at the back of the fence but this didn't help either.

When the fence is locked in place it has no movement, however it can be locked in place with varying degrees from true.

I've attached a video to demonstrate what I mean. It feels like the issue is at attachement nearest to the user, but not really sure how to fix this.

Anyone got any ideas?

Cheers.

View attachment 149859
Hello,

Anyone got any ideas?

Cheers.

View attachment 149859
I've got the 255 (the orange one) and my fence is like this. I usually just put the clamp half way down so it holds it in place and use a rule to measure the gap between the fence and the blade front and back to get it square. Also when it's finally clamped down i have to thump the top of the fence down or it'll clamp squint upwards aswell. This is the second one I've had and wouldn't buy another. Another gripe with this fence is where the aluminium box meets the black part of the fence the Ali sits proud and catches any rough edges of your timber. When cutting this creates a big distraction

Also Tom there is the small screw at the back under the tensioning nut that allows you to control the gap under the fence check it's not loose
Sorry I wrote this yesterday but forgot to post it

Thanks all for the replies.

Yeah the fence only wobbles when it's not locked/clamped down, I'd never cut when not locked down :)
Glad (I think) to hear it's not just mine that has this issue, I normally angle the fence away from the blade when locking it down to ensure there is no pinching. I'll try pulling the fence towards me to straighten it up and also half locking it down.

Will take a look at the tensioning nut and make sure all is good.

I have contacted the manufacturer, but given the fact this seems like it's a "feature" of the saw/fence I doubt anything will come of it.

There not the best saws, I have one that I have done mods to, and yes the fence is a pain, you will need to play around with it , check that the scale slide is nice and tight this can be loose , picture of my one

Attachments

• IMG_20230103_093817.jpg
    IMG_20230103_093817.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Back