Evolution Rage 3-B

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi

I bought mine about 3 or maybe even 4 years ago. It is the larger version with the sliding bars. It hasn't let me down yet and I'm still on the original blade. I have cut steel with it, with no problems. It is not perfect though despite the advert hype. The angles were not exact, when extended fully, and it did not leave a perfect finish by any stretch of the imagination. Maybe this latest version is better than mine but all in all I can not fault it. It has coped very well with everything I have thrown at it and it is still going strong.

Hope the above help.

Regards

Logos

+1 for what Logos said.
Mines the original version which I use as my mobile saw - had it 3 or more yrs and still going strong.

Rod

Yes I have had the 10" sliding version of the Evolution Rage-B for a few months now.
The only metal I have cut on it so far was 10mm studding but it went through that no problem.
The finished cut edge on wood is......reasonable.
It's not a fine finish blade, but for me it is adequate.
I think there is a fine finish blade available but I have yet to find a supplier as everytime I look on the Evolution site they are out of stock.
If I was to find negative points I would say the first is definately the dust extraction (or lack of)!
I believe there is a possible design fault with the saw as the dust collection bag seems to capture no dust or wood chips! And even by removing the bag and fixing my vac to the extraction point does not seem very effective either.
The other points are the bevel angle divisions are on a sticker which started peeling at the edge soon after first using the saw, and the saw angle settings (mitre and bevel) are probably not 100% accurate and you may need to keep an eye on this.
However to put it into context I think I paid £160 for the saw from screwfix as it was marked down from £230 or so.
For the money I paid I believe it is quite good value for money.
Of course I have not had the saw long enough to see how reliable it will be long term, but it will only get light diy usage.

I used one belonging to a friend for cutting some big sections of timber including compound bevels (set with a jig, I dont trust marking scales) and it performed very well indeed, at least as well as the big makitas that my last employer had.

That said if the main purpose is cutting steel or ferrous metal, i'd encourage you to get a dedicated cold-saw with a cutting fluid feed; the results will be much better and the saw itself would be under less stress.

Back