Evolution R255ms 255mm mitre saw 2000w ? any good

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alasdair

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi theren sorry not been on for a while. Business work and family stuff. Hope to get back into it soon. Quick question. Looking for a cheapish mitre saw as need to redo old leanto kitchen before the roof comes in. Basic framing and skirting board etc but also for roof timbers. Just need something portable and decent enough. There pretty cheap at screwfix just now for £170 but never had any evolution tools and dont want to waste the money. Any advice welcome

Hi theren sorry not been on for a while. Business work and family stuff. Hope to get back into it soon. Quick question. Looking for a cheapish mitre saw as need to redo old leanto kitchen before the roof comes in. Basic framing and skirting board etc but also for roof timbers. Just need something portable and decent enough. There pretty cheap at screwfix just now for £170 but never had any evolution tools and dont want to waste the money. Any advice welcome
I was looking before Christmas but the deal I wanted wasn't available so I went with a camping set up...

Anyhow the one that took my eye was this one for a similar price.
https://www.toolstation.com/dewalt-...DOgmlCQ-30b-05rwAn0aAh7PEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds
Unless you want a bigger capacity, I thought it had good accuracy, reliability, reviews etc.

Saw that as well but thought I would go with the bigger blade and power as I also have an old steading roof that needs a bit of attention. Rafters are 8x2 and a few need repaired or replaced . Have heard of evolution but never used any.

I’ve had the little brother of it (the R210SMS) for a few years now. It was my first ever mitre saw and purchased to help with a DIY garden decking project. I paid just under £100 and got a free second blade, so was certainly a good price back then and now would be an extra £50 to buy. It's generally done everything I’ve asked of it and I do use the multi-material blade for cutting wood and metal. I have purchased a, hopefully, better blade for woodwork from Saxton Blades but haven't tried it yet. The machine is a bit of a beast with no brake or soft start, but that is reflected in the price. Dust extraction is appalling. I would buy it again as a starter saw, but think I will probably upgrade mine at some point when I have sorted out my new garage as a workspace

Sean

Have had the evolution r255 for about 3yrs. It's used everyday and has cut a lot of timber, mostly hardwood, with no issues. The bevel guide and positives stops for angles treat as a guide only, it can be set accurately just takes a little time and that's one of the differences between it and more expensive saws.
The laser line is a gimmick, on mine at least.
The soft-start means it really needs 5 seconds or so to spin up to speed before starting cuts, that could seen as a major annoyance. It's just how it is. Someone said it helps protect the motor as much as anything.
It does take up a fair amount of space, it's 3 feet front to back.
As mentioned above dust collection isn't brilliant.
It does have a good cutting capacity with a motor to cope. The supplied blade will be fine for framing timber, but even in pine will dull quickly.
It's good value imo, though when it comes to be replaced I'll get one with better dust extraction and which takes up less space and that's a very narrow field for anyone who's looked into the options.

I have the R255 SMS DB+, got it a while back to build some decking then the new workshop. So far it has coped with everything I have asked of it, including skirting, large rafters etc. You have to accept it is obviously built to a price, it isn't a festool, but guess you already realise that.

Would I buy it again? At the same price, absolutely. I did have to get them to replace one of the side sliding fences recently as it deformed and would not slide without significant encouragement. They did try to charge me but I pointed out that a tool like this should take some punishment without bending and they did then send the part FOC.

Agree with the comment regarding the dust extraction. I never understand why powered saw manufactureres put such a small bore dust extraction tube on their machines.

It is fairly heavy to move around and I used mine on a proper mitre saw stand, I would recommend that especially if you are cutting things like rafters.

Thanks for the replies. The size is quite big but I think I could do with something larger. The price is good especially at the moment. Its not a saw I will be using a lot. Just for small jobs and as said need something moveable as getting tired of carrying everything to the dewalt cross cut. Got a big circular saw for rough work andd ripping so might treat myself. At £170-00 its not going to break the bank and if I end up using it a lot could always upgrade to a better saw. Will perhaps get another couple of blades for finer work say 40 and a 60 tooth.
Many thanks
Alasdair

Right should have just bought the evolution but been wasting time online found a schepach HM254 255mm. I believe they used to be good but what are they like now. Its only £140 including delivery.

have the Evo mitre saw and it's pretty good for what it is.....
My DeWalt 305mm is now a €1000's plus .......
for the work u explain I'd say it will do the job.....
best part is that it aint bothered about nails or screws.......
Mine gets used everywhere, pallet wood and frame work constuction.......
only thing if it's not to much of a stretch go as big a blade as u can.....
My 305mm blade has it limits....I think there's a 350mm on the market now.....to much money to trade up tho....
the soft start is a bonus, by the time the blade guard is outta the way ur ready to go.....
oh, plus it farily quiet compared to some of the norm high speed mitre saws out there....
I will retro fit one to the DeWalt asap.......

Back