• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to UK Workshop and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Withdrawn Everything

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
@everyone - Roger Bisby is trying to raise the issue also. He has a channel on Yourtube - skillbuilder - maybe one louder voice is better than lots of quieter voice - especially when the next Mayorial or Police & Crime Commissioner elections next come round.
Just in case others also thought that this meant that skillbuilder was also raising this specific issue about slate1234, it is the wider issue of tool theft that he is raising.

I managed to set up a UK fundraiser. Hopefully we can help slate1234 out.

https://gofund.me/31a7d839

Nice one, thanks for setting up this page (y) Would it be worth adding a post (with the link) to the General Woodworking section, or General Chat? More people might get to see it in one of those forums? The total is already climbing up nicely though :)

To the future, when you get new tools look at Smartwater as an initial step, Home - SmartWater Shop this gives your items a unique chemical code that is registered to you, next step may seem a little drastic but works. Mark your tools with a brand, your initials or postcode and this may deface them slightly but it also devalues them to a potential scumbag. I worked for a company where some expensive gear had this strange ability to walk, anything from laptops to expensive test gear and the solution used was simple, we machined a range of branding irons to make permeant markings so the equipment was instantly recognisable and worthless to anyone else yet still fully functional to the company, who would want a disfigured laptop emblazioned with a company logo!
I was looking at a company on Friday called selecta dna who offer a range of methods of marking your property but was quite surprised at the cost of such products. I’m seriously thinking about it now as we all spend huge Amounts of our hard earned cash on tools and equipment as an investment in the work we do . When these scumbags steal and rob from us they think nothing of the impact to the victim or their families. As others have said slate 1234 sorry for your loss and I have made a donation to help out and hope you don’t suffer to much downtime.

Hi all I'm selling everything in my worksho. Planer thicknesser, morticer, clamps extratsion, all my power tools have been stolen I need to replace them asasp to earn money
Pictures to follow
Really sorry to hear, I'd like to contribute to the fund raiser and I'll get a list of tools you can have/borrow. If we can find a way to keep you going in the short term, I hope you will delay selling your shop. Tools like that take a lifetime to collect and a fire sale (as they call it) never gets value. If you can hang on to sell things properly or find a way through. Things always seem very black at first, but once a few plans come it it will pick up.

I was working in London and the firm I was working for are not insured I have never felt so low but would like to say thank you to everyone for their kind words
The fact that the firm were not insured is neither here nor there, they are liable to replace them provided it was their lack of security and not yours.

I was looking at a company on Friday called selecta dna
Smartwater was about £60 a year subscription and is £18 for a bottle of marking, SmartTrace Forensic Liquid for Household Marks up to 30 items - SmartWater Shop

This company supplies to a wide range of people and is very common on lead roofs across the country because scrap yards will use an ultraviolet torch to inspect any scrap metal brought to them. With tools and such it is impossible to remove all traces, I used it on my landrover and put it on every single component and with just the smartwater logo displayed on your property it is often enough to deter any potential scumbags. If you really want to go more extreme they also do a spray system SmartWater Forensic Spray System - SmartWater where the scumbags get covered in the marking spray that then links them to your potential burglary and they cannot remove it.

Smartwater was about £60 a year subscription and is £18 for a bottle of marking, SmartTrace Forensic Liquid for Household Marks up to 30 items - SmartWater Shop

This company supplies to a wide range of people and is very common on lead roofs across the country because scrap yards will use an ultraviolet torch to inspect any scrap metal brought to them. With tools and such it is impossible to remove all traces, I used it on my landrover and put it on every single component and with just the smartwater logo displayed on your property it is often enough to deter any potential scumbags. If you really want to go more extreme they also do a spray system SmartWater Forensic Spray System - SmartWater where the scumbags get covered in the marking spray that then links them to your potential burglary and they cannot remove it.
I would endorse SmartWater, have been going since the mid 1990s so long pedigree and good reputation. Our local churches use it. The invisible marker contains trace amounts a mixture of rare earth chemical elements are very low concentration, these are mixed in a unique amount for each individual so there are literally billons of combinations. The minerals are not found in the UK (or in the combinations in the smartwater), so they stick out when put inside a quite simple analyser (spectrometer). The company has a database so if the police recover goods they can identify the true owner, the MD is ex police and several forces collaborate with them to help reduce theft.
As others have said, the company you worked for are probably liable to you to make good the loss, see the contract etc. Also going forward I would recommend you take out insurance for your business, I know that horse has bolted, but the simple rule of thumb on insurance is , if you cant afford to replace something, then insure. Its a business expense (an not a cheap one unfortunately). In the meantime, i and many on this forrum will promote your funding page.

Spectric -thanks for the info and I will definitely consider it and urge others to follow suite -it’s expensive but cheap in comparison to replacing lost tools and equipment. Due to the loss of my friends handbag which was subsequently handed in -the police lady I spoke to said it’s a massive problem returning lost and stolen property to the rightful owner as it’s often not marked in anyway. FYI the company I was looking at was selectadna.co.uk and offer similar products for both property marking and self defence: I think we should take this as a warning and act now to prevent the unfortunate situation with slate 1234

The police in my experience locally are incapable of dealing with any crime except speeding offences. They are neither speedy nor interested. They seem to think that their job is primarily to provide a crime number for insurance purposes. Tool thefts are very distressing but they need an outlet. The likes of facebook marketplace and eBay and gumtree appear to make it very easy to shift stolen goods. Hard to see a workable solution apart from never leaving tools in a van or onsite.

This is sadly all true , I’d never leave tools in the van overnight especially where I live but we are all creatures of habit- load the van up , off to the merchants and then to the job. Several Friends of mine who have also set up their own heating firms have invested heavily in vehicle security linked directly to their smartphones and I think this in conjunction with smart water//dna marking will hopefully deter these (struggling for a appropriate phrase) wan…s and low life’s from stealing from vans and sheds etc . I don’t think there will ever be a 100% garantee against this or any other type of crime but something is better than nothing..

The police in my experience locally are incapable of dealing with any crime except speeding offences. They are neither speedy nor interested. They seem to think that their job is primarily to provide a crime number for insurance purposes. Tool thefts are very distressing but they need an outlet. The likes of facebook marketplace and eBay and gumtree appear to make it very easy to shift stolen goods. Hard to see a workable solution apart from never leaving tools in a van or onsite.
That is also my experience. I'm a bit cautious on blaming government policy for things, but in this case its was a gamble that didn't pay off. The cuts to police funding in 2011 were on the back of years of good crime figures so government took a gamble, cut and see what happens. Where we live in save North Yorkshire, they shut the station and moved in with the fire brigade, out of sight, at the back of town and as @AJB Temple temple said, they smuggled to manage the crime uptick. Only in the late 90's early 2000s did they had successfully drive gangs from the pubs and out of town. After 20 years, its back. County lines, fraud, theft and muggings. The police are recruiting and things are beginning to get a bit better, but twenty years of hard work went down the pan.

Thank you I just hope they cut there fingers off using the tools.
,,i know how you feel, had my van with the tools i earned a living with stolen a few years back, and i"d have happily cut their bloody hands off in return, my gift is in, every bit helps,, be good,,

Last edited:
,,i know how you feel, had my van with the tools i earned a living with stolen a few years back, and i"d have happily cut their bloody hands off in return,
I have a colleague at work who lives on a farm near Tamworth and has had a couple of raids. He told me if he caught them he has a digger and some land and they would never be seen again. He is normally a very rational engineer nearing retirement age, and a visiting professor, but has been driven mad by the intruders.

Our window cleaner had his van stolen. CCT showed them push it off his driveway down the street before breaking in. Last seen on cctv at roundabout in leeds.....

Nice one, thanks for setting up this page (y) Would it be worth adding a post (with the link) to the General Woodworking section, or General Chat? More people might get to see it in one of those forums? The total is already climbing up nicely though :)
I will do that, amazing to see all the donations! Plenty of good people left in this world.

About 30 years ago, my little van was broken into and about £1500 worth of tools stolen....I called the Police and when the copper turned up he said there had been a spate of van and garage break in's in the area recently and he & his fellow officers had a good idea who the offenders were.
I asked him if he could tell me their names and I would make my own "enquiries"........Needless to say, he wouldn't give me any names coz he knew what I was likely to do if I caught them with any of my tools.

He made a report, but I never heard anything.......To this day, if I ever find out who stole my tools, they would regret the day they were born.....

I've also made a donation @slate1234......I hope you get back to work soon.👍

Last edited:
I think that we all we feel for you! A friend had his workshop cleared out a few years ago and is still discovering bits that he had forgotten about that were pinched.

Perhaps put a list up of the things you are short of. If it makes you feel more comfortable pledge to donate the items to a Men’s Shed after you have managed to get replacements.

I read this morning before the fund was set up of several members offering to donate spare tools etc,, is this still happening as I have a 110v reciprocating saw that I don’t use and would be happy to donate. Let’s be honest a £1000 or more won’t replace all @slate1234 has lost. That means he’s likely to get up and running a lot sooner. Thinking about the logistics of such a task could I suggest a tool relay of sorts to get any donated tools to @slate1234-unless any members have a better solution. I think back to many years ago when my flat was burgled while I was working away from home in London. That feeling never goes away. between my friends and family I got back most of what was stolen which was a truly humbling experience. Here to help in Wolverhampton.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back