European help please: 18th Century cabinet hardware question

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D Semple

Reaction score
I’m building a historical replica of an observation bee hive built for use by the Swiss naturalist Francois Huber in Geneva about 1780.

My question is to the hinges. What type would they have most likely used and how would they have been attached?

HubersLeafHive.jpg

(footnote on figure: The leaf or book hive consists of twelve vertical frames or boxes, parallel to each other, and joined together. Fig. 1. the sides, f f. f g. should be twelve inches long (30 cm), and the cross spars, nine or ten (approximately 23 to 25 cm) the thickness of these spars an inch (2.5 cm), and their breadth fifteen lines (1 line=1/12th in. 15 lines=1 1/4 in.=32mm). It is necessary that this last measure should be accurate; a piece of comb which guides the bees in their work; d. a movable slider supporting the lower part; b b. pegs to keep the comb properly in the frame or box; four are in the opposite side; e e. pegs in the sides under the movable slider to support it.
A book hive, consisting of twelve frames, all numbered, is represented fig. 2. Between 6 and 7 are two cases with lids, that divide the hive into two equal parts, and should only be used to separate the bees for forming an artificial swarm; a, two frames which shut up the two sides of the hive, have sliders, b. b.
The entrance appears at the bottom of each frame. All should be close but 1 and 12. However it is necessary that they should open at pleasure.
The hive is partly open, fig. 3. and shows how the component parts may be united by hinges, and open as the leaves of a book. The two covers closing up the sides, a. a
Fig. 4. is another view of fig. i. a a. a piece of comb to guide the bees; b b. pegs disposed so as to retain the comb properly in the frame; c c. parts A. of' bees of two shelves; the one above is fixed, and keeps the comb in a vertical position; the under one, which is movable, supports it below.)

Version originale en français (pages 16 – 18): http://www.archive.org/stream/nouvelles ... 5/mode/2up

Thanks,
Don Semple
Overland Park, KS - USA

Don

I know nothing about hives and even less about 18century ironwork etc but my thoughts are.....

I interpreted the drawing as being hingeless so that the frames could be opened up, possibly more inserted or taken away. and the whole thing held closed/together by the two lengths of twine wrapping around the whole as shown in Fig 2.

From a practical perspective I see the merit of holding the rear of the frames together so that the whole lot doesn't fall apart. I'd use a short lengths of natural fibre rope to 'hinge' each frame together top and bottom passing the the length through the side of the frame and then putting stopper knots to secure, adjusting the slack so that when the frames are in 'closed position' the rope tightens them together, then same for the next frame etc. All in all you drill 4 holes in each frame,two in each end.

A simpler way would be to use galvanised staples to attach the 'wrap around' twine (fig 2) to the back of each frames. Achieves the same and would be less fiddly.

Lovely project -is it to be used in anger?

hi don,

as hinging is an option on this design, i would imagine hinge selection would have been at the discression of the user. popular hinges for something like this would have been a piano hinge (posh) or a pair of simple lift off butt hinges, called paumelles here, or even simple flap hinges surface mounted on the back (possibly the most likely).

hope this helps

jeff

There is another image of this hive on the net (you probably know of it)

PN_6740.gif

it's poor resolution but some sort of hinge is just visible and they could be as simple as two strips of leather joining all the frames on one side.

1st - thanks for the responses Hans, Jeff, Roger, & Chas.

Work has me swamped today so I won't be able to check back till late tonight, but rest assured I'm very eager to explore the different hinge possibilities.

Some more insight about Huber and his leaf hive: He was moneyed; he would have commissioned the hive made. Because of the nature of bees, the frames like Hans suggested, would have had to been secured pretty well across the back. The twine would have been a convenience to allow easy access and securement. The outside 3 sided telescoping end covers would have been loose or simply attached with pegs. The inner observation covers had a glass pane. In Huber's book he makes further reference to the fact that his hive allows for the frames to be swapped around and used in any order for management purposes. We “think” the hinges were metal, but can’t rule out leather.

jeffinfrance":3bbryyfv said:
hi don,

as hinging is an option on this design, i would imagine hinge selection would have been at the discression of the user. popular hinges for something like this would have been a piano hinge (posh) or a pair of simple lift off butt hinges, called paumelles here, or even simple flap hinges surface mounted on the back (possibly the most likely).

hope this helps

jeff

Jeff, I will check out all of these thanks. I'm not familiar with "lift off" butt hinges, can you show me an example.

Appreciate the help guys, please keep the ideas coming. I'm particularly interested in how the different type of hinges of the late 1700's would attach and could make the frames interchangeable.

Thanks,

Don

RogerP":1hi4j2k9 said:
There is another image of this hive on the net (you probably know of it)

PN_6740.gif

it's poor resolution but some sort of hinge is just visible and they could be as simple as two strips of leather joining all the frames on one side.

Looks like a series of hook and eye catches?

On the side facing us but at the back there seems to be two hinges (look between the leftmost and the next one).

Regarding the other drawing you posted Roger, Huber undoubtedly modified his leaf hive over his lifetime, as others did who copied it (i.e. "the hook & eye catches to secure the front of the frames instead of the twine" as you see in this later version). You can also see that the later version is of a simpler design and doesn't have the loose telescoping end covers.

I'll let you know what is decided about the hinges and post pictures up when the projects finished.

Thanks for the responses and all the great input. You all have helped a lot. If any of you ever find yourself on this side of the pond, look me up, I'll buy you a pint.

Don

Back