Eucalyptus

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edmund

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,
As a novice to turning I'm experimenting with different types of wood - which I rather like doing. I have a piece of Eucalyptus, which I think has really interesting figuring, which I've now turned to a cylinder (3" x 14"). I found it a bit harder to get a smooth cylinder - I think it's the grain of the wood, not just me (may be wrong on this :) ). As I haven't decided what to make from this blank I was wondering whether there are certain things I should not try to make. I was thinking of a simple egg cup or goblet perhaps. Thoughts and guidance gratefully received. Edmund

Goblets, egg cups, a candle stick, fruit - apple or pear, all come to mind. Also a small cylindrical box will help to improve your accuracy with getting a good fit to the lid although this should only be done if the wood is dry.

Jason

edmund":1egwgxzq said:
...snip... a cylinder (3" x 14"). ....snip... or goblet perhaps. Edmund

You should be able to get a couple of well proportioned Goblets out of that length. They certainly have potential to show off grain patterns. (see Gallery link below.)
Do you have any guidance on how to tackle a Goblet, such as Keith Rowleys 'A foundation course' Book. (page82.)

If not PM me and I will send you some guidance notes.

Back