Eucalyptus - how do I use it for something nice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimi43

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys.

After reading the "Magnolia" thread I thought I would ask you guys a few questions about a eucalyptus I am going to have to "trim" soon.

This tree is apparently quite a rare variety and was planted in my garden by the previous owner (photo to follow when it gets light again).

It is now HUGE....(actually enormous is more correct) and sprawling up and out all over the shop. There are a few VERY LARGE branches that are now threatening my neighbour's outbuildings and they need cutting back. This will provide me with some lovely long and relatively straight logs which I would dearly love to plank and dry.

I have never done this before and I would like advice from the wealth of experts here who I think may have.

I need to know:

a) is this variety of wood worth the bother (I think I know the answer to that but would like it confirmed)

b) once I cut the branches, what processes to I go through to plank it the best way and

c) once planked how do I dry it the best way to prevent splitting and cracking?

Any advice gratefully received....

I will post some pictures tomorrow....

Jimi

I have a coffee table I made from a kidney shaped Eucalyptus Burl. The colour is lovely and just finished with lots of coats of Danish Oil. Will try and find a photo to post. I left the edges rough and am gradually getting the sharp bit removed via my shin as and when I bump into it :lol:

The burr has shown some shakes but that is probably the nature of the burr, I think it adds to the character, if sound advice is not forthcoming regard the conversion try an Aussie woodwork site #-o I had one here somewhere........

Edit:- http://www.woodworkforums.com/index.php found it :)

You have a couple of significant challenges ahead - not impossible but nearly I think.

Firstly this wood is renowned for moving and splitting as is dries - a really useful feature, esp for some artistic turning but not really what you want.

Secondly, I think you are going for limb timber which will exacerbate this problem due to the internal stresses branch wood has.

So, you could try cutting it thick, painting the end-grain and letting it dry really slowly (no direct sun, not too windy etc) but your chances are not great I am afraid.

Best of luck anyway,

Simon

I think Simon has it well covered.

It's a timber particularly prone to splits and shakes as it carries a large water content (similar to willow in that respect), and limb wood is reaction wood with vastly different stresses in the wood on the top of the limb versus the underneath of the limb (one is in tension and the other in compression), which makes it likely to move and twist a lot once cut and during the drying.

I'm sure somebody will be along to put us right with their own success stories, but sounds like a long shot for a fair amount of work.......

Cheers, Paul :D

Oh dear...it sounds like the great advice here is erring towards not bothering....pity...I like the look of the finished wood a LOT!

Hey...if it has opposing stresses maybe I should get into making longbows!!!

:D

I don't suppose it will even be a good idea to log it and burn it on my open fire either will it? I seem to remember somewhere that it can give off quite poisonous vapours?

Jim

Jim

I cut down a eucalyptus tree from somebody's garden once. I painted the ends of the logs and left it covered outside for a few years with the intention of planking it once it settled down. It never did, it just kept twisting and warping and eventually i gave up and got rid of it. Turning may be a better option.

Turning is an option but don't expect 'traditional bowls and straight candle sticks!

See this piece from Melvyn Firmager to get an idea of movement:

Index_18.gif

come over to the dark side - turn it into something interesting :)

How big are these bits going to be?

Miles

miles_hot":p45wkq5k said:
come over to the dark side - turn it into something interesting :)

How big are these bits going to be?

Miles

If by the "dark side" you mean turning...I have tried my hand at that but only to make a handle for a turning chisel!!! 8)

Oh and a practice piece with pine which I use to club the missus when she gets out of hand!

lathe90.jpg

The limbs are about 18" diameter and about a million feet long!!!

So I can't even make outdoor furniture out of it....?

:?:

I should think that some turners near by could help you dispose of it - I certainly would if you were closer (being near Swindon and working in Reading it would be a bit of a trip) :)

Miles

I'm local but have no desire to turn it. Sounds like a complete nightmare

ah what the hell. Jim if you want to save a bit and store it for a few months then you're welcome to pop over and we'll turn it into something round (and cracked and warped).

Having said all that, there are websites advertising eucalyptus outdoor furniture so it is possible to produce useable timber from this tree, but it would appear to require very careful drying. If i had my log again i would think about taking a chainsaw to it for sculpture.

Oh dear...well it was a thought and thanks for the offer Wizer but I think I'll pass on turning her now.

I can't even lop the branches off now...apparently you have to prune the tree in the SPRING - SUMMER!!! This is to prevent disease in northern climates!!

I wish I had known this before....I spent all summer waiting for the correct time to do the job and NOW I find I was sitting there in it!!!

Darn this tree....but she IS pretty!

Jim

Why is it the Eucalypt cannot be given a hair cut in winter? Most trees are trimmed or felled when the sap is lower! In Crete we used to prune or heavily cut back the olive trees as soon as they were clear of fruit in the new year. This has to be done to get a good crop of olives.
Are you sure someone is not on a wind up by saying that the tree still grows according to the antipodean seasons? ( wish I had thought of that one)
The get around in either case is that Eucalypts are known as 'widow makers' due to there habit of dropping huge limbs without notification to those under them or local authorities, just tell them you burnt the split ends and trimmed and treated the trunk ends. :wink:

Why not make some rustic outdoor furniture, bodger style, with the timber. This can be done while green and use draw bores to hold it together?
Regards Rob.

Latest posts

Back