Epoxy glue

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Austin Branson

Established Member
Reaction score
Greetings, oh sage ones. I am building a pair of Sam Maloof rocking chairs, and the advice is to use a 24hour epoxy to glue the legs to the rockers. Can anyone recommend a suitable adhesive, please?
Many thanks.
Austin

Greetings, oh sage ones. I am building a pair of Sam Maloof rocking chairs, and the advice is to use a 24hour epoxy to glue the legs to the rockers. Can anyone recommend a suitable adhesive, please?
Many thanks.
Austin
I am a great believer in epoxy glue ( not the fast setting stuff )
The joints should be close fitting before you glue.
Particularly with epoxy ( because of it's viscosity ), remember to scrape a few "vents" for the glue and air to escape if you are inserting into a blind hole.

24 hrs seems a bit excessive most epoxies will cure a lot quicker than that. But you do want one that will give you plenty of time to assemble the pieces. Standard araldite should be ok not the fast set stuff.

IME, the "standard" Araldite (not the quick set version) is one of the best available, together with West Systems, which is expensive. Also IME, standard Araldite does need AT LEAST a full 24 hours to harden fully, though hot weather can, sometimes, speed that up a little.

Agree about leaving a couple of "escape holes" if gluing into a blind hole. But make sure you remove all squeeze out before it dries. A sharpened lolly stick is a good tool for this, and a wipe with an Acetone wetted rag should remove any external smears remaining - BEFORE it's cured of course.

Be careful to get the proportions right (50/50) and make sure both the little mixing palette and "spoon" (both supplied) are absolutely clean and dust free, along with the area to be glued of course.

You'll probably mix too much at your first attempt (easy to do) but that comes with experience. Make sure the mixing spoon and pallette are clean for further use, and if you don't need the 2 tubes again for a long time, stored in the fridge (not the freezer) will happily extend shelf life of the remainder, well beyond the date shown.

HTH

I used this one for the box joints on my coffee table, it gave about 40 minutes of workable open time, then it started to get more viscous and flowed less well. They also do a 30min version but it gets thick after 20mins and is too stressful.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Deluxe-Materials-Speed-Epoxy-AD071/dp/B00JG495LG
I'd do some test glue ups with whatever you select, mix some up wait say 30mins or as long as you want/need then try and use it.

You can also get very slow set epoxy that is used for fills/resin tables, however this is very low viscosity and I think could easily flow out of a joint leaving a weakness. I filled a hole and then 24hrs later flipped the board as the epoxy felt set, over the weekend this happened.
68178-D274E8F5-207F-4D80-9DF6-53F75AB4744B.jpeg

This adhesive has proved to be very successful, it’s specifically produced for the oily woods but obviously fine with non oily. The demands put on it with a chair I made recently (see post “MyChair) has convinced me that the claims made for it are justified .
https://www.makewoodgood.co.uk/prod...pVnyx7Hit09X4ymMXHLW-wQl-KPCpIL0aAgRLEALw_wcBIt is expensive, it just depends if the job in hand justifies it .

And maybe an obvious point but even with the fairly gloopy glues you want to leave it to set positioned so the glue can't creep out before it has set enough to stop moving, and that means maybe 8-10 hours for Araldite. Otherwise you can at least have glue visible around the joints you carefully cleaned, or at worst a version of Fitroy's issue.

Latest posts

Back