Epidemic conjunctivitis - be aware

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YorkshireMartin

Established Member
Reaction score
It just occurred to me to share this because it might just save someone else from suffering as long as I did.

I'm just about recovered from a viral infection called EKC, short for Epidemic Keratoconjuctivitis. It is caused by several sub types of adenovirus.

The type of conjunctivitis that most of us are familiar with is a bacterial infection of the eye which clears itself up in a couple of days. However, EKC is far more serious. Unfortunately, for whatever reason, there doesn't seem to have been any notification to GP's of the current epidemic (the name is a coincidence and distinguishes this particular virus from other less serious forms).

GP's are still misdiagnosing the condition as allergic or bacterial conjunctivitis or a less severe viral form. I know of 5 people in addition to myself and my wife who were simply sent home, only to return to the GP a few days later with far more serious symptoms, eventually ending up in hospital.

I started with the typical itchy/dry feeling in my left eye. My wife also started with this in her left eye. Two other couples we know started with it in their left eye. The doctor said he'd seen 4 other couples with it, bizarrely, all in their left eye initially. Despite knowing all that, he still had no diagnosis other than "viral conjunctivitis" and sent me home with nothing, House he is not. Three days later I was in hospital and told it was EKC.

This is a systemic infection. It is similar in seriousness to influenza but with the additional risk of long term damage to your sight. I suffered with it for 3 weeks and I'm still not back to full strength. It really knocked me for 6. Facial glands swelled like golfballs and my eyes were swollen shut and bloodshot to the extent that virtually no white was visible at all. The eyelids and skin under the eye got dehydrated so I looked about 100 years old. My vision was terrible. Discharge from the eyes and nose was either like Iron Bru or bright yellow. Went on for two weeks before I started to recover.

There are three major things that I really think people should know. This is an airborne virus, highly infectious and it's able to live on surfaces for up to 35 days. You remain infectious for up to two weeks after the display of symptoms. Obviously this makes it incredibly dangerous as a virus. Dettol does NOT kill it, I know this because I've contacted Reckitt Benser to ask. Bleach is the only thing I know which kills these sub types of adenovirus.

There is a current epidemic of the virus and the ophthalmologist told me that they are inundated with patients. Why no public health warning has been issued is completely beyond me.....

There is no anti-viral available, so treatment is limited to steroidal eye drops with anti-biotic (Maxitrol).

If you see anyone with weepy/red eyes, keep well away. Believe me, you really dont want this. I dont mean to scare anyone, but the fact it is an airborne virus, to me, makes this very serious indeed, especially to older or very young people/children. I think the public need to be aware.

Please be vigilant when you're out and about.

If anyone wants more information, please feel free to ask.

We've had a housemate with serious conjuctivitis for weeks now, he says he been to the eye hospital several times and he's on drops etc. However as it's been weeks with no other housemate getting infected from communal areas hopefully it's not this strain, but I'll speak to him next time I see him.

As RogerS has said, thanks for alerting us, strange that we should be informed of this on a woodworking website!
I hope your wife and the others you know make a swift recovery.

Stew

rafezetter":lhke64lb said:
We've had a housemate with serious conjuctivitis for weeks now, he says he been to the eye hospital several times and he's on drops etc. However as it's been weeks with no other housemate getting infected from communal areas hopefully it's not this strain, but I'll speak to him next time I see him.

The eye hospital would probably be on the look out for it. We were diagnosed very quickly because the symptoms were very specific, particularly swelling in the preauricular glands (in front of the ear). Hope he recovers quickly.

rafezetter":3ul0d2so said:

Also beware of getting diagnosed with conjunctivitis by a gp and it being a thing called iritis. I had itchy but not gunky eyes and doc on 3 occasions told me it was just conjunctivitis, until I decided to go to the eye hospital. I ended up on steroids for 3 months. Just another thing that can be misdiagnosed which can blind you.

Thanks to op for warning and hope both you and your wife on the road to recovery.

Nick

Thanks for the alert.I have recurring blepharitis and tend to believe any eye trouble is a return of the problem.I will now be more vigilant and in light of the warning I hope not to experience the affliction at first hand.

Back