engineers vice needed

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chunkolini

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, Help!!
I have killed another metalworking vice, Does anybody have a decent quality engineers vice for sale eg record or similar, with say 6" or 8" wide jaws. I dont mind it looking a bit manky as long as everything is straight and working. I can arrange courier collection. I looked at the price of new ones and nearly started crying.

Is this a woodworking question? well I do lot of both, and a combining the two in furniture making.

Help, Chunko'.

Somebody out there has one of these lying in a shed just crying out to be abused.

Comments and PM's welcome.

Hate to say it but there are usually quite a few on e bay if you want to chance your luck on there.....
Interested to know how you killed yours though? They sure do take a beating....
Cheers
Timmo

I snapped the slide of a Record No 4 metalworking vice right through trying to press the bearing into the steering arm of my old Volvo 120 :oops: . Just to see what happened, I welded it up using appropriate CI rods, and despite dire predictions from a metallurgist friend, it's been fine ever since. Though I've now bought an undamaged one from a car boot.

If you can weld, or find a friendly welder, might be worth a try?

300 quid!!!??? I pick 'em up at my local recycling centre.

Roy.

Hi

You could try Sarah from the charity that was doing the old Iroko science benches and old woodworking benches. She had a few when I was there though not sure what size they were. They were Records and in quite good nick.

Mark

How did I kill it?

I was crimping some lengths of tubing, I made a tool to fit in the jaws, and was crimping 30mm tube to half thickness to give a rippled effect along lengths of 1m. The result looked great but the thread has been stretched and the handle is banana shaped.

Erm was I overworking it. I needed 18 of these pieces for a sculpture installation, in the end I used a huge power hammer belonging to a mate.

I am keeping an eye of fleabay.

How do I get hold of 'Sarah'.
Chunko'.

chunkolini":33f5r3d5 said:
How did I kill it?

I was crimping some lengths of tubing, I made a tool to fit in the jaws, and was crimping 30mm tube to half thickness to give a rippled effect along lengths of 1m. The result looked great but the thread has been stretched and the handle is banana shaped.

How long was the pipe on the handle? :)

BugBear

chunkolini":2om5d3de said:
Only bare hands, I was getting 'enthusiastic' with it. Grrrrrrr.

Wow - you must have been really giving it welly.

Large vices go cheap at auction and car boots - there's a much bigger market for "shed-sized" ones - I think the most desired vices of all are small Q/R ones.

If you have the bench to take a monster, even a 8" jawed top model (e.g. parkinson, paramo, rededa, record) should be under 25 quid - sometimes well under.

If you want super strength, go for plain screw, for convenience go Q/R.

When buying a Q/R close the vice right up and pull hard on the handle - there's often enough wear on the half-nut and thread that it MAY slip at this point. If the q/r/ trigger starts creeping under this test, don't buy the vice.

If you have the shop space, get both plain screw and Q/R :)

BugBear

chunkolini,

I have an old vice at home, very big, approximate dimensions H 35cm x L 45cm x W 25 cm, weight about 20kg, don't know what make but really solid. Jaw opening around 15-20 cm if i remember correctly

If you are interested Ill get a picture and some details tonight so you can see it. Will have to be collected, FOC to a good home.

Jock

chunkolini":3pejzjva said:
Hi guys, Help!!
I have killed another metalworking vice, Does anybody have a decent quality engineers vice for sale eg record or similar, with say 6" or 8" wide jaws. I dont mind it looking a bit manky as long as everything is straight and working. I can arrange courier collection. I looked at the price of new ones and nearly started crying.

Is this a woodworking question? well I do lot of both, and a combining the two in furniture making.

Help, Chunko'.

Somebody out there has one of these lying in a shed just crying out to be abused.

D&B Keighley of Leeds has some old Record vices in stock- speak to David

Comments and PM's welcome.

here's the photo, its a beast, record no. 25.

Also may have a record no3, which may need a home in a month or two.

Regards

Jock

Jock,
That is indeed a Vice, and a very generous offer.
I am sure I can find you something in my sculpture box as way of saying thanks.

Yet again I am blown away by the people who lurk on the Ukworkshop forum, rest assured it will be soundly abused for the rest of it's life and might even get repainted.

Lost for words (and that does not happen often) Alan.

ps does it come with the two cordless drills in the background?.

staffie":7gt6popx said:
here's the photo, its a beast, record no. 25.

Wow! Popup-tastic photo hosting!

Anyway - that is indeed a big and lovely vice. But for pseudo-press use I would still recommend (if possible) a plain (i.e. ACME) screwed vice.

Even a big Q/R screw is comparitively weak.

BugBear

Hi guys will update when the beast turns up.

I may even try to avoid using it as a pseudopress.
The one I killed was a brand new No3 model about a week old, i think my enthusiasm go the better of my common sense.

I figure a gentleman can't have too many vices.

Chunko'.

The Beast has landed.
It's big, it's beautiful and it's bloody heavy.
Just crimped my thigh putting on a bench, ouch!!
I am now cutting up my vice stand to make it fit.

And beautifully packed.
What a star performance form Jock, aka Staffie.
A big round of applause from all at uk workshop.

The people who dont appreciate the internet are missing on a great global community.

Big thanks, Jock.

Chunko'.

ps I occasionally give my tools names, this one is Jock.

Back