end grain door panel

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cerdeira

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking of making a small door panel off end grain pieces, similar to a cutting board. does anyone see any major incovenient in doing this?

I've tried a web search but could not come up with much information besides cutting boards.

thanks

The chances are it will warp, twist, shrink, and split.

Apart from that it should be fine!

And not be very strong.

If you can cut thin slices and glue them onto a backer with balancing ones on the back it should be o/k.

Pete

Hi

I suspect that you have been unable to find any web based information because of the inconveniences of making such a panel.

Unlike cutting boards which generally have a thickness of at least 40mm the glue face on a door panel is likely to be only about, say, 10mm, that's not a very large, but probably enough on a small panel. Any thinner and the panel is likely to become flimsy, due to the grain direction. Creating 2 flat surfaces might be a bit problematic, it might help to glue up on a flat surface like the table saw bed? It will likely be too thin (and not strong enough) to run through a thicknesser,

Personally I would recommend veneering.

David

Have a look for "laburnum oysters" to give some ideas. These are end grain, but mounted on a baseboard. For a small door, about 200mm by 150mm, I've got away with only attaching them to one side of a 10mm board, but it's obviously a bit of a gamble.

Apart from the strength issues, using such an item as a door, I would say that hanging the door itself would be a nightmare.
There's a vast difference between a 12" cutting board, used and supported by the worktop underneath and a 6'6" door
falling off it's hinges, which it very quickly would.
Regards Rodders

Back