End caps on hardwood worktop

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So.............

Oldish thread which i found while searching for answers to fitting an oak worktop adjacent to a range cooker. I have already contributed (badly) to this thread but now find myself in the same position, namely buying oak worktops from Worktop Express and reading their bumph, it clearly states fitting a solid piece of timber across the ends of worktops adjacent to the range and leaving a minimum of 30mm gap between. Not only do i think that would look unsightly, it also throws out all my measurements, which is a pain in the seating area.

Could anyone who fits oak worktops shed some light on this? Is a 30mm gap really necessary, especially if a solid piece of oak has been attached to the end of the worktop?

Two things I'm surprised has not came up would include...

What if you change your gas cooker and its a different size
Does that company recommend having extra bits if its smaller ?

Another thing is, those thermocouples are always breaking on gas cookers, don't chip the edge pulling it out,
or make it less prone to chipping out when you get a new larger oven (hammer)

Our gas cooker at home we have a burn mark on the edge of our chipboard laminated worktop
from a frying pan, don't know how bad this would have been with solid timber and finish ?

Tom

I think if I were to have a gas hob, which I'm not (no mains gas and an induction hob I wouldn't change, not even for gas which I've had before) I think I would devise a sacrificial border, maybe a 100mm row of nice tiles or a strip of polished granite or something ... or even wider to allow a hot pan to be moved and put down quickly.

Good point Phil
You've just got me persuaded on hoarding loads of granite offcuts and damaged worktops that could be
reused for that very application :D
Thanks
Tom

Not a bad idea that phil. Been at the job all week knocking out walls and moving services. My niece is home today from Spain and will be going to see her tomorrow to iron out all the fine details, so would like to have some suggestions to present to her. Tried to talk her out of oak worktops but she is adamant and it's been a good few year since i fitted any. I remember making some for a house i used to live in and i had a gas range cooker. Pretty sure i didnt put any wooden end cap on them and certain i didn't leave a 30mm gap either. Can't remember any problems occurring but worktop express website says it's a must. Perhaps they are just covering their backsides in case of any problems some people may get.

Well i am just back from visiting her and she wants oak worktops and a gas range cooker, so can anyone who has fitted oak tops alongside a range cooker let me in on what they did?

I fitted beach long stave worktops about 4 years ago next to a range cooker.
did nothing. left a gap between cooker and cabinet then overhung the top to withing 10mm.
it gets a good coating of danish oil every year.

no movement, no cracks, no burns.

now around the damn butler sink is another matter, if only I could convince my wife and her family to wash hands in the sink instead of above it then maybe it would stay dry for more than a day.

I fitted Worktop Express oak worktops next to a big gas range cooker in my daughters kitchen about 3 years ago.

The gap between cooker and worktop is fairly tight (no more than 5 mm) and so far no sign of any heat related damage.

stuartpaul":bvuicn0b said:
I fitted Worktop Express oak worktops next to a big gas range cooker in my daughters kitchen about 3 years ago.

The gap between cooker and worktop is fairly tight (no more than 5 mm) and so far no sign of any heat related damage.

Cheers for that, i was thinking of doing the same as it seems a bit excessive to me to have a 40mm wooden end cap and leave a 30mm gap to the cooker as well. Did you have the range cooker top level with the wood or raised up a bit?

skipdiver":1szz8cs6 said:
stuartpaul":1szz8cs6 said:

Cheers for that, i was thinking of doing the same as it seems a bit excessive to me to have a 40mm wooden end cap and leave a 30mm gap to the cooker as well. Did you have the range cooker top level with the wood or raised up a bit?
Steve,

From memory the side of the cooker is almost exactly level with the worktop. This means the trivets (or whatever you call them, - the things the pans rest on!) are just slightly higher.

Back