Elu Router Repair

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Valiant

Reaction score
Hey all,

So I have a Elu MOF96e which I lent to a mate and it's come back not powering up. I having taken it apart and dusted it etc, I can say that the cable and switch are fine, as are the brushes (I fitted new ones) and they do receive current but that's where my skills with a multi meter end.

Does anyone know anyone/where in London I might be able to get it repaired? I love this thing, it's got soul and works beautifully, so I don't want to have to skip it.

Does anyone know if there's a way to test the commuter?

Cheers

Hi,

Not sure where you are in London. Toucan Tools in Leyton use to do repairs would be worth ringing and asking if they still do. There is also a tool shop in Ilford that use to do repairs. I've always done my own repairs so just buy the parts from one of the local dealers. The problem is that as prices come down in relation to wages it becomes less economic to repair any item most people would just buy new rather than repair. My Elu 177E cost best part of £300 30 years ago, more or less the same now. An hours labour, parts and guarantee and a repair could cost half that. Sorry for not having good news. However don't skip it if you decided not to go for a repair it could still be worth something, either for someone else to have a go at repairing or as parts.

Steve

Issac Lord in High Wycombe certainly still repair Elu kit and carry a surprising amount of spares in stock. I think there's a £25 unaccepted estimate charge if you don't proceed.
OK High Wycombe isn't London as such, but if you're in the North or West and have a car, getting there can be quicker than getting to many other parts of South or East London.

If you're sure both the brushes are getting 240v, it's pretty likely to be a broken commutator and that will be expensive £120+vat just for that part alone and some other parts are now unavailable.
You might be better scouring eBay for another. I saw one recently that was working, but the owner had dropped it and broken the baseplate casting, that would have been an ideal source of parts for you and went pretty cheaply.
Best of luck, they're great little routers.

I have a working Elu MOF96, a DW625 and a POF1000. So I don't really need another router, but I bought the second Elu router spares & repair (£17 ebay) to fix my 96e, but I soon found out it was a different model (non E), so I stripped it down and rebuilt it, and to my surprise it worked like new after a good lubing etc. Sadly it's not as nice as my 96e, for one it doesn't have the soft start or variable speed. The DW625 is a bit too big and chunky, while the additional power is nice it doesn't have the finese and precision of the 96e.

So it's deffo worth getting repaired if I can otherwise I will regret it. Thanks for the heads up, I'm based in E14.

If you are struggling, ring Dewalt, Trend or some such router manufacturers and ask if they have repair agents in your area, you will then know where they are and said agents will be able to fix yours.

Andy

He's footing the bill, finding somewhere that'll repair it has been tiresome. I've tried a few places which claim to repair all tools and specifically state DeWalt, B&D etc but then you mention Elu and they seem lost and say no.

Does anyone happen to have a manual or spares list?

Cheers Fret not, I assume it's the commutor that needs fixing.

Valiant":1du722hv said:
Does anyone happen to have a manual or spares list?
Just Google Elu MOF96 spares and you'll gets lots of links to exploded diagrams with all the parts and prices.
A workshop manual will be harder to find, but search here and you'll find advice and instructions on DIY sorting out anything wrong with Elu routers.

Anyone happen to know if the item 151236187099 on ebay will work with the 96e? I know the part numbers are different but you never know, they could be compatible. The 96e needs part number 868627-01

Valiant - that part on Ebay is too short it's lacking the splined end for the speed sensor to fit onto.
Black & Decker's current version of the 96E is the DW615
I'd recommend Toucan tools aswell
Matt

Valiant":ueamaw2n said:
He's footing the bill, finding somewhere that'll repair it has been tiresome. I've tried a few places which claim to repair all tools and specifically state DeWalt, B&D etc but then you mention Elu and they seem lost and say no.

Funny that seeing as B&D group bought Elu and all their routers since (B&D, DeWalt, etc) have been designed around ELU technology.

If it helps, should your 96E be the later 900w model (as opposed to the earlier 750w model), then it's identical inside to the DeWalt 615 :mrgreen:

Back